Notices

Front wheel/brake squeeling

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 1999, 12:03 AM
imh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike
I had a similar problem on my MY97 for a while (but only noticeable at very low speed).
This appeared to have cleared but has been replaced by annoying resonance all the time. However, at last service dealer identified the problem to be a bearing and as they didn't have one,its being replaced on Tuesday.
ian

[This message has been edited by imh (edited 28-03-99).]
Old 28 March 1999, 10:00 AM
Mike Shaw
Scooby Regular

I have an annoying, all be it intermittent, squeeling from (I think) my front offside wheel. It's particularly noticeable at lower speeds (say 30) under normal driving, but it's relatively quiet (although I do seem to get alot of dogs chasing me lately... ). It SOUNDS like (me not being at all techie) the brake pad is ever so slightly misaligned and is fouling the disc. When I brake it usually changes slightly then stops. It was in for a service yesterday, so asked them to check it, which they did, had the callipers off, checked disc and pad etc., took it round the block - "seems ok sir". But now it's back, if anything slightly worse. No significant damage to disc or pad, so it remains annoying rather than worrying. Could it possibly be a squeaky bearing instead? Or something else beyond my limited knowledge?

Answers on a postcard - it's going back to the dealer next week, so any suggestions may help him pinpoint it.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 28 March 1999, 04:22 PM
subaru manchester
Scooby Regular

MIKE WE HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE.GET THE DEALER TO CHECK THAT THE ANTI SQUEAL SHIMS ARE PRESENT AND CORRECTLY FITTED.
WE CUT A SMALL CHANNEL IN THE CENTRE OF THE PAD CAREFULLY WHICH ALLOWS THE BRAKE DUST TO ESCAPE THIS ALONG WITH SOME BRAKE ANTI SQUEAL COMPOUND ADDED TO THE REAR OF THE CLEANED PADS CLEARS THE PROBLEM.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOOD LUCK PETER.
Old 29 March 1999, 06:07 PM
ikinder
Scooby Regular

I had my dealer change my pads for the Prodrive spec Mintex 1155 Pads. I can now read 1155 on the back of the pad through the wheel spokes.

This means my dealer did not fit the anti-squeal shims off the original pads (they are still on the old standard pads in the mintex box). Is this correct ?

Regards,

Ian
Old 31 March 1999, 01:43 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Ian

Your dealer should have fitted the anti squeal shims onto the new pads.

These may reduce the amount of squeal from this pad.
Old 08 April 1999, 10:30 PM
Mike Shaw
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Turns out to be brakes due to accumulation of brake dust etc. Have a feeling shims aren't properly fitted, as Pete at Subaru M/cr suggested. I'm planning on a new brake set up soon anyway, so that should sort it.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 10 April 1999, 04:26 PM
IainY
Scooby Newbie

I too have experienced an intermittent brake noise (like a screech) on my MY98 Impreza turbo - the first time just when new( a year ago). The dealer could find nothing but cleaned the brakes which seemed to work. More recent, I experienced a "knock" from the front brakes after applying the brakes at low speed. They appear to have fixed that too (again by cleaning the calipers etc.)
Old 15 April 1999, 01:34 PM
Phil G
Scooby Newbie

No help really, apart from I suffer exactly the same problem so it's not just you. I sometimes find that gently pumping the brake pedal when slowing sometimes stops it but I don't know why.
Old 15 April 1999, 01:43 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

I get the same on my car MY98 turbo. Only really in the dry and not immediately on braking but when the pads are just starting to really bite which tends to support the build of brake dust thoery.

Cheers

chris P
Old 15 April 1999, 04:44 PM
Richard Hardaker
Scooby Regular

I had just the same as ChrisP.
Stripped the front pads out and took both (yes 2) shims off. Rust had built up already (only 3500 miles) - there was some anti-squeal grease on but not much. Cleaned all parts (end of pistons etc.). Re-applied a more consistent covering of anti-squeal.
For 200 miles or so everything was quiet. But it is back to the same squeal again. I think must just be a combination of brake dust / fit of the pads.
If you are interested - to remove the pads take the two bolts out behind the caliper (be careful not to allow the caliper to drop and strain the brake hose - tie it up with some rope to the spring). The pads are left in the mounting on the hub. Slide them out (the back one is quite a fiddle).
Each pad has 2 shims clipped to it.

Note. This is 98MY not the 99MY 4pots!

Hope this helps,

.Richard (still with the squeal).
Old 15 April 1999, 07:24 PM
Mike Shaw
Scooby Regular

Solved it!!

Get to a track day on a nice warm sunny day. Preferably the Donington GP Circuit with a couple of real brake-killer hairpins. Get everything warmed up and give it some stick. I can guarantee after 10 laps you'll come back to the paddock with two solid pillars of smoke rising from your front pads. No more squeal!!

Down side? - wipes about 1,000 miles per lap off your pad life. Not to mention tyres.

Having Mintex front pads fitted before the next track day at Oulton. I've heard they sueal a bit too...

...sueal? er, squeal

Cheers,
Mike.

[This message has been edited by Mike Shaw (edited 15-04-99).]