Notices

Non starter

Search this Thread

Old 25 March 1999, 10:26 AM
stream
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sod's law, I only bought a subaru becuase of their reliability record, honest.
I recently thought I might have a dump valve problem, but a trip to power+ eng. yesterday confirmed everything is fine. As I'm driving to the Alps on saturday I was reassurred all was okay. This morning, I got in the car turned the key and it wouldn't fire up. Electrics seemed okay, battery had loads of life, all fuses were fine. I tapped a few relays incase they had stuck (saw this in a film!), I could hear what sounded like a fuel pump running, but the engine would not catch. I left it, and tried after 5minutes and still the same. After 20 minutes, it just caught and started up, sounding a bit rough for a few seconds (15-20secs). After this it was fine. I read somewhere in FAQs/BB that you could get start problems if he engine was started with the throttle pressed. I certainly didn't do this when I initially failed to start it, but had to eventually as it was flooding.
Is this just unlucky sod's law or should I get it looked at before travelling? Is this indicative of a known problem? Every other time I've turned the key it's roared into action.
Old 25 March 1999, 01:33 PM
Gibo
Scooby Regular

Same Problem !
I have had my 95 WRX 2 weeks. When it first occured I thought the battery was duff as it was turning the engine over very slowly but it would always start. then one day last week it just would not start,Battery went flat very quickly, A jump from the girlfriend and all was OK. Got a new battery fitted and I thought it was sorted. On the way home stopped at a garage (did not press the accelerator) it would'nt not start. turned over quickly but nothing. After about twenty mins it just fired up and was fine for a couple of days. this has happend 4 times now help !!
Old 25 March 1999, 02:43 PM
iaindean
Scooby Regular

This has happened to me too, I know what it is (I think!).

Has the engine been running for a bit, then you stop, then only a couple of minutes later start it again?

If so, sometimes the engine floods, if not then I think you must have slightly caught the accelerator (it only takes a finger push!)

Obviously, this means that some petrol sits there, so when you've waited your minute or two for the turbo to cool down, turn the key off whilst very slightly pressing the accelerator.

Seems to work on mine although I don't know if it may increase the wear on something?

Anyone else know?

[This message has been edited by iaindean (edited 25-03-99).]
Old 25 March 1999, 04:21 PM
Gibo
Scooby Regular

Yep, It always happens after I restart after a short stop eg Buying petrol etc.
Old 25 March 1999, 07:13 PM
J Gunter
Scooby Newbie

I've had a similar problem except the car did not start after any length of time and had to be transported back to the dealer. On closer inspection it was determined that the platinum spark plugs had fouled and would not spark (apparently they are self cleaning)new standard plugs were fitted and the car started fine. The dealer said it was from making short journeys regularly.

I'll just have to take their word for it, it has not happened since.
Old 26 March 1999, 10:39 AM
iaindean
Scooby Regular

To find out if it is the plugs, the clutch should judder a little on a cold start. If not then it is slight flooding, also caused by frequent short distances (stop-start motoring). My plugs are brand new and it still does it if I forget to apply a little acclerator when turning the ignition off!
Old 26 March 1999, 11:01 AM
stream
Scooby Newbie

Yesterday lunchtime it had a bit of trouble starting again,(and a bit of white exhaust), but started after 15/20 seconds. since then it's been fine. It's interesting about the short journeys though, it usually only does 5miles in morning 5 miles in evening, the day before I had trouble, it did 150 miles in the morning and a very short trip in the evening. it was after the short trip it failed.( the next day). I'm going to stick my head in the sand and ignore it. Thanks for replies.... I'm off to get my snow chains now...
Old 26 March 1999, 11:39 AM
iaindean
Scooby Regular

white smoke could mean some serious turbo trouble, I would have it checked out if I were you!
Old 26 March 1999, 07:55 PM
petercope
Scooby Regular

If your car has an immobilser it's worth checking that it is not developing a high resistence in an electrical cable. I had this on a car, but it only happened after the engine/under bonnet area had got very warm. Particularly so after a long run.
Old 29 March 1999, 11:52 PM
Ronnie Gordon
Scooby Newbie

I had a similar problem on my MY96 .Again very intermittent & mainly when hot.Brilliant local dealer Fraser & Anderson) put the car on their analyser (Free) where the cars own memory (Bleedin clever) indicated the Crank Position Sensor had been playing up.This was replaced under warranty & has been perfect ever since.