Notices

Squealing Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 1999, 08:56 AM
Richard Hardaker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am getting a slight squealing when I brake. I suspect the brakes are dusty or I have a stone caught. How easy is it to remove the pads? and how do I do it? I used to change brakes on my earlier cars but since the last few have been new I have not had the need - I think things may have moved on from a couple of split pins!

Thanks for any help,

.Richard
Old 24 March 1999, 09:59 AM
Richard Hardaker
Scooby Regular

Sorry, forgot to mention 98MY Turbo (UK).
Old 24 March 1999, 10:41 AM
JohnS

Richard,

do you have the Mintex pads fitted ?

If so, then you should expect a certain amount of squealling from them, most noticably when driving about town and using light braking pressures. They are probably fine when hot and under hard braking.

I got mine cleaned up as part of the last service, and I believe they just clean out all the brake dust, and give the discs & pads a quick going over with some sandpaper. Only lasted a few weeks though. I've just got used to it now
Old 24 March 1999, 11:02 AM
Richard Hardaker
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply John.
No they are not mintex pads....but as you suggest it does go away after hard breaking.
Just wanted to check them out. Only covered 4000 miles.

.Richard
Old 24 March 1999, 01:12 PM
D Berris
Scooby Newbie

Hi Richard,
I have a 96MY which has developed the same problem lately. I haven't tried to clear it myself, but have in the past checked the pads. If I remember correctly, it's just one bolt and then the whole caliper rotates clear of the pad holders so that you can check or change the pads fairly easily.

Any use?

Darren
Old 24 March 1999, 01:40 PM
alanp
Scooby Regular

Pads usually have a special backing to prevent squealing, but it does'nt always work when cold under light braking. My 97MY suffered the same problem at about the same mileage.... and then it just went away. It sometimes comes back occasionally. You may be able to improve matters by removing the pads and lightly coating the backs with one of the special purpose compounds on the market. One I have used succesfully is called 'Plastilube'.
Old 24 March 1999, 03:49 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im running Pagid pads and they squeal until I get some heat into them. I believe its down to resin on the pad face.
Old 24 March 1999, 03:59 PM
Neil Oxborrow
Scooby Regular

Dealer has just had my MY97 Turbo for a week to fix what sounds like the same problem.
I was experiencing a high pitched squeal at low speeds initially, and then nearly all the time. Dealer could not originally solve the problem, and once I returned the car to them, they tried again. They ordered a special compound from Subaru UK to solve the squeal problem, but I am not so sure this has worked. I have only had the car back a day, perhaps I am imagining the noise now? Will let you know how it goes over the next couple of days.
Quick solution to check for stones is to roll backwards a little and brake sharply. This usually flicks whatever debris there is in the pad/caliper out. Might be worth getting a can of compressed air also.
Good luck.