Notices

Please help - Error codes???

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2003, 11:31 AM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst fitting my knocklink, I decided to connect the black code connectors together to see what happened with the check engine light. To my shock it appears to be giving me two different codes. It starts with 2 slow flashes and then 3 quick ones (23). It then does 2 slow flashes and then 4 quick ones (24).
As far as I can find out, it appears to be telling me of a problem with the MAF sensor and the Idle control solenoid valve.
Can anybody confirm this? Also what is the way ahead with ICSV, is that the one that can get contaminated with oil? If so can it be cleaned? Where abouts is the ICSV?

Any input appreciated.

Craig.

Edited to add my car is a MY99 WRX STI Type-R V5

[Edited by CRAIGFIN - 9/26/2003 11:32:43 AM]
Old 26 September 2003, 11:37 AM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

Another question, can the MAF sensor be sourced from Halfords as I recall that you can now buy just the part thats gone as opposed to the whole sensor.
Old 26 September 2003, 01:07 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

The ISCV is mounted on the left hand side of the inlet manifold. It's not the one that usually gets filled up with oil, but it can be cleaned.

IIRC the black connectors are for the stored fault codes (check with some real documentation - don't believe me straight away!!), rather than the current ones, so unless the car isn't running right, I'd not worry too much yet.
Old 26 September 2003, 01:49 PM
CRAIGFIN
Scooby Regular

dnd,

Thanks very much for the reply. Do you know how to access the current error codes? (if the black ones are the stored errors).

Craig.
Old 26 September 2003, 02:24 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

Thought it was the pair of green connectors that are also lurking under there. Or does that just put it into test mode?

Best bet is to read Chis Palmer's Scooby website. I don't have the URL at work...
Old 26 September 2003, 02:36 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Craig, connecting both the black and green plugs together and driving for a short distance will force an ECU reset.

Once the reset is complete, the check engine light will flash. If it flashes an OK signal, there are no current errors. If it does though, those errors are affecting the car at the moment.

The two stored errors could be explained simply by the fact that the car has been started with the MAF and ISCV plugs disconnected at some point in the past.

However, anything related to the MAF on a 99/00 car should be treated with caution. Pay close attention to how your car feels, and if you don't already have one, it's probably worth fitting an AFR meter as a double check.

Edited to say that you've got your messages a bit mixed up re. Halfords. It's a generic lambda sensor you can buy from them for under £30. The only way we currently know to get a MAF sensor is from a Subaru dealer. However, you can buy the sensor itself rather than the whole assembly which includes the intake pipe. The difference in price is huge - around £80 instead of over £200.

[Edited by greasemonkey - 9/26/2003 2:48:33 PM]