Notices

Questions About MY98 Cars

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2003, 12:49 PM
davsl
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Could any of you guys please help me with some questions about MY98 cars please? Many of you have probably read my topic entitled "where do I stand with piston slap?" Really appreciate the help :-)

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/thread.asp?threadid=247505

The thing is I think I have been totally filled full of crap by this patronising salesman that sold me the car, stupidly I believed work colleagues and read good things on here and SIDC about what a great dealer the dealer in question is. And being a little bothered about the complexity of these cars decided a trusted main dealer would be a good place to buy a car even though it was at a much bigger cost (about £1200 more than an independant dealer) as surely the car would be of a better quality and they should help more with problems. The other faults have really annoyed me and I think it is really bad that such a respected dealer can take a car in that was obviously traded in as lots of parts were starting to wear out then just off-load to me at such a high price! So as I said I am really upset at the moment as this was a very expensive car to me and I am not happy so I really want my money back as I feel I have been told a load of wrong information and deceived by the salesman in question. As I personally at the time did not know much about these cars (hence going to such a supposedly respected dealer). I had read in a used car guide that some can suffer from piston slap but did not really know it was a defect that should not be there! So I intend to get my money back under the rejection of faulty goods act, as it is not just the slap, it is many other things, but the slap is the main problem and this individual has lied to me about. However I understand that he is a saleman and will lie again so I am preparing myself here as a start. What annoys me more is that at first this salesman tried to deny that the car had any noise when he first came out and revved the car, then when I later phoned him up saying I thought it had slap he proceeded with his pack of lies, and I fell for it as I did not know otherwise. Obviously if I get nowhere this garage will be named on every forum and anything else I can think of! However this is early days and if I get some joy and this is sorted out ammicably I see no reason to do this, as this just may of been a bad car that has slipped through we shall see. Anyway my questions.

1) The saleman told me that whatever Subaru (Impreza, Legacy, Forrester etc.) of around this age with this particular engine in will suffer piston slap. He also said that it will of done it from day one when the car was brand new?

2) He also says that he has had information from Subaru technical (whatever that is) that this continual slapping will not wear either the piston or the bore over time?

3) He also reckons that this defect will not de-value this car in anyway if I come to sell it privately? I mean it only sounds like a Diesel or a Cavalier with knackered cam when cold! But he reckons just tell them to give his dealers a ring and he will give them the same drivel that I got to put there mind at rest and they will hand over there hard earned cash. Just hope they do not do a search on here as people seem to pay the best part of a grand to fix this fault out of there own pocket!

4) He also says that a lot of these cars have been fixed under warranty with the offending piston replaced, but there is no point in doing it as the piston slap does not cause any problems, and it would cost £800 pounds in labour alone to fix!

I am determined to get my way on this one as this was a huge outlay to me and I have just feel deceived over the whole thing, I will let you guys know if I have any luck.

List of faults on car:

Piston Slap

4 barely legal tyres

Rotten back-box (that was highlighted on one of the service recipts a year ago and 6,000 miles ago, obviously waiting for the next mug to fix it, me!)

Only one transponder key for the Subaru Immobilser.

Boost Controller making a really loud ticking noise, sounds like a gearbox bearing, started the day after I got the car.

Clutch Judder, worse in reverse. Clutch only bites right at the top of the pedal travel. I believe you cannot adjust these as they are hydraulic, this indicates the clutch is on its last legs I think!

One of the rear brakes often binds, making a squealing noise.

Very nearly a crunch changing from 2nd to 3rd gear.

Rear windscreen wiper does not work.

Car was advertised on AUtotrader as having a Thatcham Category 1 alarm, it didn't have one so I had to pay for it fitted at a cost of £200. Car was advertised as only covering 61,000 miles, had actually covered 65,500.

Please do not tell me how stupid I have being trusting a car salesman as it will never ever happen again, and I for one will take it with a pinch of salt if I read things about dealers being good on these type of forums. Hopefully this will not turn out to be a personally expensive lesson through no fault of my own!

Thanks!
Old 14 September 2003, 01:05 PM
davsl
Scooby Newbie

I am going to stop using this car from now, and have an idependant mechanic carry out an assesment of this car. I guess this will involve leaving the car over night so he can here the diesel sounds, although usually a couple of hours is enough!
Old 14 September 2003, 01:23 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Could any of you guys please help me with some questions about MY98 cars please? Many of you have probably read my topic entitled "where do I stand with piston slap?" Really appreciate the help
As a general point it's probably a better idea to confine your situation to a single thread, rather than start more, as it makes it easier for people to keep up with, and saves unnecessary repetition. Thus, check for rest of reply there.

Old 14 September 2003, 01:43 PM
mad malc
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ok sorry cheers m8
Old 14 September 2003, 01:54 PM
davsl
Scooby Newbie

Have pasted this note into the original thread, Where do I stand with piston slap thread. Please ignore this thread and read that one