Notices

MY98 UL to SUL Change & ECU Reset

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2003, 01:28 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

OK, by way of an experiement, after 18 months of ownership, I've just started to use SUL instead of normal UL Fuel.

Now, although I've so far seen a minor increase in fuel economy, I've seen no noticable performance change.

However, my question is, can the MY98 ECU learn up (i.e. do I need to give it more time as I'm only on the 3rd tank of SUL)? Or do I need to do an ECU reset to gain full advantage from the higher RON fuel ?
Old 18 July 2003, 01:42 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

The ECU will, over a period of time, learn the settings for the higher octane fuel. However, you can force it to learn immediately by doing the following....

1. Disconnect car battery for 30 minutes, to allow ECU to 'forget' its current settings.
2. Reconnect battery.
3. Collect 3 large mates, insert in car.
4. Go for a drive, preferably along a fast uphill dual carriageway with no traffic.

Basically, put the engine under maximum load (lots of weight, uphill, foot down) and hold for as long as possible. The ECU will adjust to the octane level to give optimum performance.

Think this is the gist of it, maybe some technical experts can confirm ?

HTH

T

ps. I am not responsible if your engine blows up, or your mates clobber you blah blah etc.
Old 18 July 2003, 05:43 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Angry

Thanks for the muppet response.... Your answer only demonstrates that you know about the same as I, which is that is may or it may not learn.

The whole point of posting here was to try and get technical confirmation from someone who actually knows if the ECU will learn upwards, as I believe (but do not know for sure) that some Scooby ECU's will only ever make downwards corrections. So if you put low quality fuel in for 1 go, then it knocks all the settings back and will only recover by ECU reset as it is unable to push the settings back up.

Hence the reason for asking what I believe to be a reasonable question to which I have not been able to find an answer using the search engine.

As for the ECU reset, it is easily done without battery disconnect, and I already have instructions on how to do this for my model year.

Anyway that shoves it btt for other answers.
Old 20 July 2003, 02:17 PM
TonyNesta
Scooby Regular

....and with that attitude, I wish you luck getting some !

I notice the huge amount of technical expert responses you've got to your enquiry !

I was trying to pass on the knowledge I have about this subject - the ECU WILL adjust to the new fuel over a period of time, but what the hell, find out for yourself, you're obviously far cleverer than anyone gives you credit for.

Wish I hadn't bothered.
Old 20 July 2003, 02:24 PM
GREEN SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

and thats the gratitude you get for trying to help some one on here? nice! 18 months of nul instead of sul or optimax,you seem to know it all.
Old 21 July 2003, 06:14 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

My previous point was that you did not definatively answer my query with any authority or appearance of speaking from a knowlegdable position.

And by answering in the way that you did in making comments about blowing up engine etc, you only served to enhance the muppet factor.

However, in hindsight, perhaps I over reacted a little and for this I apologise, but I'm sure if you read your post from my point of view, it was open to interpretation either way (good or bad).

Now, in the later post you indicate that the ECU will learn which is the information I was after, because as I said before, I've heard (in other discussions) that not all Scooby ECU's will learn upwards, so better grade fuel will require a reset to take full advantage of it. (also on reading for the nth time I notice it does say this in the first post - sorry again - perhaps I should relocate to the muppet show myself...... )
Old 21 July 2003, 10:11 PM
k9any
Scooby Regular

Hi Scratch

I have a 97UK Wagon and was forced to re-set the ecu as the previous owner was using UL when I bought the car to pick up the Optimax I used. Below is how i did it:

How to re-set your ECU unit.
NOTE: This is only applicable to MY93-00 (GCA) models. The later model MY01

1. With engine at operating temperature, turn engine off.

2. Locate the two ECU check connectors, for most cars they are located under the steering column and consist of a black plastic male and female connector, and a green male female connector.

3. The exact location of the connectors varies with the different year models, but generally they are located under the steering column on the drivers side.

4.With the ignition OFF connect black to black and green to green.

5. Turn on ignition, do not start the engine, depress the accelerator pedal to full throttle and hold for a few seconds, and then release.

6. Start engine and then drive for at least one minute, keeping road speed above 11 Km/h.

7. ECU is now re-set.

8. At this point the check engine light should start to flash the all clear signal (steady 1/2 second interval flashes).

9. If the check engine light does not flash, or indicates some other sequence, there is a fault present in the system, and should be professionally checked for necessary repairs

10. Once, stop the car and turn off the engine.

11. Disconnect the plugs.

Job complete

When the plugs are connected you may here a clicking sound coming from under the bonnet near the right hand strut, this is the boost solonoid ticking over as the ecu goes round each sensor in the car checking, the fan will also come on for a period.

hope this helps

Ray