Notices

Breakdown Urgent Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2003, 04:15 PM
Dirtboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY94 running fine, stopped in garage (not a fill up but ****) on return to car switched on as normal turned over but wont fire !! Not CEL warnings either, any ideas???

Cheers
Old 21 June 2003, 07:06 PM
scoobyPAT
Scooby Regular

Talking

When this happened to me it was the fuel pump.

Try turning your ignition on with your door open and see if you hear the pump run for a second or two if not then take off inspection hatch in boot repeat and have another listen. The pump will only run for about two seconds to presurise the line after this it should cut out until the ignition is flicked back off then on. If all is silent though in the first two seconds then pump could be dead.

I took two immobilisers off my car before realising that it was the pump .

But it did only cost £50 from Andy at grade a (www.gradea-subaru.co.uk) and took ten minutes to fit .

If this ain't it then sorry but it's a good starting point. Immobilisers are another option but can be a real pain in the @rse if you don't know what you're doing with them. I did and it took me three hours to take them off test them and refit.

Good Luck
Old 22 June 2003, 10:02 AM
Dirtboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Scooby Pat.

Cheers for the adivce, can you direct me to the pump cover as I have never looked at thios before. Also would a failed pump give a CEL code ?? No CEL flash at all on mine !!!
Old 22 June 2003, 10:19 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
surely it would fire up for a second even if the fuel pump had packed up?, did it attempt to fire or just absolutely nothing?.

Do a search for crank sensor, these fail sometimes, I unplug mine when I do the oil changes(to turn engine over to prime with oil), when it's unplugged it allows only the engine to turn over, will not fire up. These are known to fail, maybe another idea for you?.
Old 22 June 2003, 11:04 AM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

If the crank sensor had failed there would be a CEL?

The fuel pump is in the boot area right behind the rear seats on the drivers side.
Old 22 June 2003, 11:44 AM
scoobyPAT
Scooby Regular

Mine gave no code and the engine wouldn't even splutter. Car ran fine right up until ignition was turned off. Two minutes later tried to restart and the engine just turned over.

Cover is just behind back seat in boot floor (there is one on either side and it's the bigger one if memory serves.) Just put your cig out, undo the securing screws and it will lift off to reveal the top of the pump, (will see wiring harness plug and fuel lines now.) Sender unit and pump are all one so if you decide to change it be gentle but wil need a lot of manipulation to get out.
Old 22 June 2003, 01:11 PM
Dirtboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks to you all for the excellent advice, was starting to freak out over this. will try fuel pump if no godd will look at crank sensor. Had crank ensor go before and has cel code flashes but nothing this time. Does any one know of a simple in-situ test on the fuel pump without having to remove it ?????

Old 23 June 2003, 08:02 AM
Shropshire-Guy
Scooby Regular

Got sdame problem here mt8. Turns over just wont fire. Called AA out, no sparky. Fitted new Crank sensor and still nothing. Took amp off and chilled it in pack off frozen peas,20 minsd later it started.AA guy said it was my amp. Bought new one and bugger me its not done it again so im riding around with new amp in glove box and screwdriver .If you find anything post it up mate as its done my head in

Steve
Ps

Mine only does it when weather is very warm .