Notices

Goosed Lambda sensor, or problem with AFR meter?

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2003, 10:59 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have been battling with installing a Dawes AFR meter into my 93 WRX for the past few weeks

I've taken the live for the meter from the stereo switched live, and have connected the sensor lead to the white/silver striped wire on the bottom connector on the ECU (pin 6?).

Anyway, have never got any lights to light on the meter. Soldered the sensor wire, moved the earth from the ECU chasis to the battery and still no joy. The only time I got the blue light (lean) to come on was when I disconnected the sensor wire from the ECU.

The other night I checked the voltage on the lambda wire to the ECU (with the meter disconnected), and only got 0.3V with the ignition on (engine not running). From the wiring diagram I found somewhere, it says this should be 0.6V.

So is the AFR giving a true indication that my lambda is not working, or have I missed something?

Knockling has not shown anything while driving, and fuel consumption doesn't appear to have changed significantly.
Old 10 June 2003, 11:37 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Dave,

It's the 4th wire up on the bottom connector, B43 Pin 6(white with silver stripes). It is actually in position 6 as 2 positions are not used. Which is what you are saying I think.

Blue light is actually rich, but comes on if there is no signal..
so if your light is not on then it is getting a signal and it could be the lambda sensor is duff..

Does take a few minutes to work though, car needs to get the lambda sensor nice and hot, but I know you said you have been driving it to and from work etc the other day at the meet.

Halfords sell the lambda sensor for £25 I believe but you have to change the plug.. might be worth the £25 to check all is well.

JGM
Old 11 June 2003, 12:09 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
You should take a read of my thread

I eventually bought a Lambda from Halfords for 25 quid, and this sorted my problem out, a dealer OE one, will be on its way over the next few months, but it was defo worth the 25 quid, and little bit of aggro changing the connector bit

Arent they 200 odd quid for the earlier cars, RRH (Simon) has a spare one for sale for the earlier cars if I remember correctly

My car hadnt changed in fuel consumption, idle, etc etc since the day I bought it 6 months ago, only after I changed the Lambda, the car seem to go like stink again, something I hadnt really noticed on the daily commute to work (no chance at all of leathering it anywhere)

Steve

Old 11 June 2003, 09:43 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks guys,

sounds like I need a new lambda sensor then. Re-reading back over previous threads has confirmed this.

Tried to get a sensor at the local Halfords this evening, but after asking for "a 'laaaam-da' 'senssss-sa'" for the tenth time, and still recieving a blank look back, I kinda got the idea they didn't have any! Will try the bigger store tomorrow.....then I'll just have to battle with the heat shield under the car.
Old 11 June 2003, 10:48 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

I think they have it listed as an Air Flow Sensor.. or something..

Have double check but I think if you remove the intercooler you can get at it without touvching the heat shield..

I know mine heatshield is trimmed but I don't think it covered the sensor anyways..

Checking pics....

unfortunatly none with the down pipe still installed..

Simon
Old 12 June 2003, 12:23 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Its quite funny actually as when I went in to Halfords, I asked for an Oxygen Sensor, and the guy on the counter looked at my slightly puzzled and said 'Do you mean a Lambda Sensor'

Anyway here is the Halfords Part Code

Part no. L300.. halfords code 180398..

Courtesy of Tweenierob

Steve
Old 12 June 2003, 12:45 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Steve,

part number noted.

JGM, my car is a 93 WRX, and the lambda is on the manifold on the front o/s corner. Removing that heat shield will also give me a chance to sort out the rattle - if I can get the bu99er off!
Old 12 June 2003, 07:42 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Oh of course... your car looks younger than a 93

Are they the same sensor though?

JGM
Old 12 June 2003, 11:30 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Red face

JGM, I was assuming the sensor was just relocated? Mine looks the same size & shape as yours.

Got one tonight, funnily enough in the Halfords where I started off at yesterday . Obviously don't just employ monkeys in their ads then.

Hopefully have a go at fitting tomorrow. Having had a look tonight, I might *just* be able to get a spanner on the sensor without having to remove the heat shield.

Expect lots of swearing.........
Old 12 June 2003, 11:36 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Similar discussion earlier in another thread revealed they are the same sensor whether in the inlet or downpipe

JGM
Old 13 June 2003, 12:16 AM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Talking

I knew that!!

Old 13 June 2003, 12:23 AM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Glad you managed to get one in the end , I got mine on a 2nd visit once armed with a part code, they couldnt deny having them

The connector is a pain, cos the wires wont solder properly, well not without leaving loads on my kitchen floor, as it had a tendency to not stick to the cable

Managed it in the end tho, with much perseverance, and solder splats on my legs