Notices

ECOTEK CB-26P

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2003, 11:32 AM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone fitted one of the above to a Scooby and seen any improvements in performance and/or fuel consumption?!?!?

This is what the manufacturers say (from the POTN accessories website):

FACT 1 - Better acceleration
Used by tuners of performance engines and on number of competitive touring and sports cars the Ecotek incorporates the same ‘swirl’ technology now commonly used in racing engines.The effect of the CB-26P is to create a better suspension of fuel molecules in the mixture you get an improvement in the combustion process making acceleration smoother and more rapid! Turbulence in the inlet manifold (as produced by the CB-26P)is also known to reduce flat spots as well as the effects of performance tuning through high lift cams and competition exhaust systems!

FACT 2 - Fuel savings of upto 29.7%
You will notice a significant improvement in petrol consumption - especially at motorway speeds. Independent figures and ‘real world’ tests show that, on anything other than the very newest vehicles, improvements in petrol consumption of 15% are commonplace! At speeds of 80 mph engineers Evans Halshaw actually recorded fuel savings of 29.7%!

FACT 3 - Less carbon deposits
With the Ecotek less carbon equals less exhaust and engine corrosion.With the Ecotek your engine, spark plugs and expensive exhaust system run at peak efficiency for longer, so it pays to go green!

FACT 4 - We are still paying the highest fuel prices in Europe!
This needs no explanation. Get one today!

Revs magazine said “ Best Buy Award... a product we would buy with our own money ...a winner. Response was up and the car pulled through the gears much more smoothly.”

Redline magazine said “The improvement was immediately apparent. The car now feels less breathless at high revs and seems to pull stronger than before.”

Old 09 June 2003, 11:39 AM
eclipse
Scooby Regular

Thing with these is they only work before the turbo comes in then they shut off, they work far better on NA cars.
Old 09 June 2003, 12:38 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Just found this info (http://www.ecotekplc.com/subaruImp.htm) but would be grateful if any scoobynet drivers have first hand experience of this device.

As a result of the interest on the Bulletin Board: www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/ and the information we have had from Iain and Nigel - not to mention how well the widget works on one of the best all round performance cars available in the UK, we have devoted this page to the Subaru Impreza Turbo / 2000 P1 / WRXSTi

Apparently the Ecotek CB-26P improves petrol consumption by 2-3 mpg (which is 10% plus) but more important it improves throttle response and low end torque. To hear it from the owners check out the BBS above.

Anyway the main problem with the flat 4 Subaru lump is that the servo line is drawn off one or two cylinders - so putting it on the servo line is far from ideal.

We have asked the chaps at scoobynet to check it out and to let us have a couple of pics of where it should be fitted - apparently it works fine on the dump valve outlet or the boost gauge feed and here are two examples (SORRY CAN'T USE THE PICS - SCOOBY96). The first - Nigel's brand new P1 2000 (same as the WRXSTi) - getting 2-3 more mpg and ... (ask him on nigel.kearney@virgin.net).

Iain (IPES1@aol.com) has got a Impreza Turbo and the fitting looks like this (SORRY CAN'T USE THE PICS - SCOOBY96) - it doesn't need to point downwards, any direction will do; though if you fit the Pipercross filter it will need to point forward.

Remember to check it is working ok (once it's tuned), with the engine at operating temperature rev the motor from under the bonnet and listen to the device rasping on over-run and going quiet at tick-over (as per the 'Fitting& Tuning' page).

Iain gave the Ecotek device a thorough test in his Impreza (Jan 2001) and found the following:

"I have done a whole weeks worth of mixed driving and covered 265 miles - mixture of fast A-roads, dual carriage-way and town. My previous average mpg for the last 7000 miles was 24.8 mpg with a high of 28mpg during the fuel crisis (VERY careful driving) and a low of 22.1 (a few selfless blasts for no particular reason). Filled up tonight and put in 43.72 litres which makes 27.5 mpg which is 2.7mpg more than the average (+11%) and 3.3mpg (+13.5%) more than last week, which was very similar weather and driving. So looks like I should be able to achieve a 10% improvement. This will save me Ł4.50 a week (Ł200 a year) which basically gives me a free journey to or from work. The valve will be paid for in 3 months. I think with very careful driving or constant speed I should be able to get more like a 15% improvement. Now the gains aren't huge but with improved pick-up the overall result is very positive".

Apparently the various pipes and breathers vary from car to car so be sure to check the pipe diameters and have access to reducing pipes or at least a competent mechanic before you try to fit the device. Certainly does no harm to check the pipes before you do any cutting. Well worth the effort though!

SO HAVE SCOOBYNET PROVIDED THESE GUYS WITH ANY ADVICE??????????????
Old 09 June 2003, 12:54 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

I have one or a model of the ecotek fitted and i can report the following.

Eclipse... not sure what your comments are meant to mean..

appologies if i have misconstrued what you have stated..

the device will not work at all before the turbo comes in..

correct but it will not work at all on any vehicle in this respect.

accordimg to ecotek the device works by emmiting additional air into the inlet by utilising the vacum created on the over run

It will however bleed in additional air on the overrun... mind you

will that make it ultra lean if you have a recirculationg dump valve..

i dont know what the car was like pre ecotek so i cant comment on torque / pick up or fuel economy..

i can tell you it dont pull like my old 175bhp saab turbo..

but at 75-80 it has bags of go with little throttle response needed

who knows

Mart
Old 09 June 2003, 01:25 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Ive got one you can have for a tenner if you like.

With the box & instructions

Seriously - had it on my MY99 for about a year until I recently sold it.

It definately improved MPG.
Old 09 June 2003, 01:30 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Dr Hu - will it fit a 96 uk turbo?

Old 09 June 2003, 01:45 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

We have asked the chaps at scoobynet to check it out and to let us have a couple of pics of where it should be fitted - apparently it works fine on the dump valve outlet or the boost gauge feed and here are two examples
I cannot recall this request being made ever (someone prove me wrong ) so question the truth of their statements in that regard. Certainly not ScoobyNet "condoned".

Best way of getting better MPG is not to have a lead foot Regularly get 30+ mpg

Trending Topics

Old 09 June 2003, 02:21 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

DR HU,

IF YOU HAVE ONE WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS AND IT FITS A UK 96 TURBO THEN I'LL HAVE IT FOR A TENNER!?
Old 09 June 2003, 09:02 PM
Flat Faw
Scooby Regular

Mart360 comment about the device not working at all before the turbo comes in is incorrect. As previously stated the device works on manifold vacuum, so as soon as the turbo starts to exert positive pressure, the device closes. The fuel economy improvements are made mostly at fixed throttle off boost, i.e. steady motorway miles.

In my experience on MY00, the performance benefits aren't noticable as the car is already quick. The fuel economy improved about 2-3mpg which doesn't seem much, but is still over 10%. This is mixed driving. On the motorway it's upto about 15%.
Old 11 June 2003, 03:01 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Must be silly season again, we've just had magnets on the fuel line now people are deliberately engineering an air leak into your engine, bypassing the air flow meter so it'll run lean....

Bring your car round to me and I'll put a hole in the intercooler pipe with a nail, that'll leak air into the inlet manifold for a lot less than a tenner.
Old 12 June 2003, 04:02 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Sorry not looked at this thread for a few days!

Yes - I have one - it will fit a 96MY (fits pretty much anything!)

Will mail you as per profile.