Notices

Knocking noise????

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2003, 10:58 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

For some time I have heard a knocking noise coming from the back of my car (Type R).

Doesn't do it all the time. I mainly hear it when at crawling speeds or when pulling out of junctions and turning left i.e. weight comes off left rear of car.

So tonight I had a look to see if I could find out what’s making the noise. If I sit in the rear seat on the passenger side and bounce up and down (I ain't a fat ****** either! ) I can hear it knocking. I took the rear seat out to check the top of the mount and all seems to be ok there, nothing loose etc.

Got under the car and checked all rubber bushes and they all seem to be fine too.

Without taking the whole shock of my car does anyone have any thoughts as to what it could be? Could it be that the rubber mount at the top of the shock has warn a bit? This might explain why I hear it more when driving away slow & turning to the left as the weight would come up off the shock a bit and might be enough to make it rattle/knock?

Any ideas??
Old 04 June 2003, 11:19 PM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Any chance the rear box hanging bracket is knocking against the bracket on the bottom of the car i.e. the 2 bits the rubber connects to.

Exchanged my downpipe on the weekend and now I've got a knocking noise. Found it by wagging the rear box around whilst lifting the tailpipe a bit and then realised what was hitting what.

Nothing a big pair of pliers couldn't sort.

Cheers

Mark
Old 04 June 2003, 11:48 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks but unfortunately I have already checked that. :rollyeyes:

Can also hear where the sound is, if that makes any sense, i.e. not underneath the car like it would be if the exhaust was knocking on something. More like at the top of the inner wheel arch or something???

Thanks anyway.
Old 05 June 2003, 12:01 AM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

a tired shock perhaps ?
Old 05 June 2003, 12:07 AM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Yea could be I guess??? Any way to tell if it's had it if I go to the trouble of taking it off?
Old 05 June 2003, 12:28 PM
scoobymoo
Scooby Regular

Location: was the drivers seat of Richard Burns's P1 now in a boxster S
Unhappy

Just had mine into the dealer for the same problem and he said a washer in the suspension had been hit by a stone or something ad got bent which had in turn cut into one of the bushes he turned the bush around which he said should have cured it. It hasn't so its going back in for a new bush which I hope shall do the trick. Bit of a nightmare all round really cos while it was in there some burk delivering sandwiches reversed their van into the back of it so its going for a new bumber as well.