Notices

Air con pulley thing noise from centre clutch solutions plz?

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2003, 09:20 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

As per title any1 got any cunning ways to stop the bits on the air con unit stopping making like a whiring style noise when it's not in use. I had the timing & alternator belts changed & since then this area has made an unpleasant noise. Reputable & skilled place that did it, checked it out again & said it maybe c/o having new belts tight initially & tried loosening as far possible/comfortable with without risk of slipping etc.
Noise does stop when air con turned on when bonnet was popped so they reckoned it is probably the clutch type set up inside the air con pulley thingamy (i no all da techincal names init) Although it did still seem noticable when driving home even with air con on...
Any ideas peaps or cunning plans on fixes etc? The air con hasn't had owt filled replaced etc since i've had it, 18months or so, but still blows a healthy stream of cold air when in use & i deliberatly use regularly to keep all good. So wood a recharge, change of oil etc have any relevance on this or failing that any ideas?
Told to ring back if gets any noisier & i'm totally pleased with good work of company just inquiring 4 ideas to solve it
Ta
Si
Old 09 May 2003, 10:45 PM
ronniebiggs
Scooby Regular

The noise is the clutch on the unit. Either get a new clutch put in. Or get a new air con unit, which ever is cheaper. Mine does it as well, but I cant say that the noise has ever really bothered me, or been that loud.

Squirt some WD40 in see if that makes any difference (Then again dont it might not engage again)

Ronnie
Old 12 May 2003, 12:45 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

Did wonder if it maybe a lack of lube sumwhere as i had also had engine bay cleaned the day b4 the cambelt etc came off
Any1 no if lubing this clutch bit wood muller it on the grip front or might it b almost a cog type thing that wood still work, clutching at strwas but hopefu l
Si
Old 14 May 2003, 06:00 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

any1 no how the clutch on the air con works then?
Si