Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2003, 07:30 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...=130443&Page=1
http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=126904
A few links from previous threads on here which from my reading do not tell exactly what you need to buy and one guy had violent stuttering from using it. IIRC the GTR thread doesn't list sources either.

So Mycroft, genuine help would be appeciated.

Is cellulose thinners any good? Do we need to avoid particular ingredients? Is xylene OK to go in too? Can toluene legally be stored away from designated areas? Will someone in the UK supply it to joe public?

Otherwise I'll have to continue in my merry ignorance using NF as I suspect will most others as it is a far sight easier than actually finding out what to use and from where.

Spoonfed? Maybe, but I don't think I can be accused of draining this community and not putting anything back in.

[Edited by john banks - 5/4/2003 8:31:23 PM]
Old 04 May 2003, 04:05 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm doing my first track day in a couple of weeks. I've seen a few references to people using octane booster for when tracking - why? Is this just in case you find poor quality fuel at/near the circuit? Or because the engine will be subject to above-average stress?

My car is a UK MY00 Turbo with full-decat and Tek-2, always run on Optimax. Advice please, gents...
Old 04 May 2003, 04:22 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Far more stress on the engine. Get some NF octane booster and fill up the tank with Optimax and then add half a bottle to this sort of setup would be my suggestion.
Old 04 May 2003, 05:34 PM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

Buy some Toluene... add it to get a 7-10% mix and then try your car... a proper Octane booster...
Old 04 May 2003, 06:56 PM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Wink

i would go with john's advice here.
Old 04 May 2003, 07:08 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Well it might mix a bit better if you put the OB in first then filled it up, but after a few miles driving to the track it will have mixed quite well. When I added it to an already full tank it took a few miles of hard road driving to see the full effect.

Toluene would be nice if you know how to handle it (wash after accidental skin contact, don't breathe the vapours - so don't fill up inside your garage, store in a sealed container, remember it is flammable so treat with at least the same respect as petrol).

Mycroft may be able to reveal a source that sells the the general public? I would certainly be interested if he could.
Old 04 May 2003, 08:11 PM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

Handle Toluene in the same way as you would filling you car from a Petrol can... it is not classed as Carcinogenic... it has similar volatility to Gasoline and basically you just need common-sense... a little ingenuity and you can get the stuff... it is not for me to show you how.
Old 04 May 2003, 08:17 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

A little ingenuity is fine if you are a chemist and know suppliers. If I asked you to get things I can get easily and know where to find because of my profession you might have some trouble Please help us out or don't suggest to get something and then be unhelpful as to how to source it.
Old 04 May 2003, 09:15 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I asked my wife who is a chemist and works at a chemical plant using toluene daily, and she didn't know an honest means of getting toluene as a member of the public any more than I did. She also asked what I was up to
Old 04 May 2003, 09:46 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I have a chemistry degree, so wouldn't be particularly bothered with handling the stuff. Anyway, I'll stick to off-the-shelf OBs.

I noticed that one particular well-known online Scooby company has stopped stocking NF. Is there much difference between OBs? i.e. would Millers be just as good?

Good idea about filling-up (inc. OB) a few miles before getting to track. Should allow some physical mixing of the liquids and also a little while for the ECU to 'notice' the increase in octane.
Old 04 May 2003, 10:15 PM
Mycroft
Scooby Regular

John, I detect a thinly veiled distaste to my presence... that is pleasing to me...

Cellulose Thinners is a 'composite' of all sorts of stuff... almost every manufacturer will have his own recipe... steer clear.

I'll keep out of here now... good luck, whatever you do.

Old 04 May 2003, 10:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I edited already to thicken the veil, although not enough to make it opaque.
Old 05 May 2003, 06:52 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
7-10% Acetone works very well too. Not sure of it's effect on AFR requirements, but haven't seen anything to suggest it changes the stoich point significantly (haven't worked it out though). Acetone deffo easier to get hold of.

Nearly all the cellulose thinners I've seen has been marked up, something like 50/50 xylene and toluene.

Paul