Notices

Car nearly went on fire after having knocklink fitted

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2003, 06:22 PM
sparkster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

This might not be related to the knocklink at all but really need some advice.

Car was in to get some exhaust mods and fuel pump + regulator upgraded.

I also asked the garage in question to fit a knocklink.

Its an old 93 wrx.

Got it home no bother, left it for a while then decided to go for a drive in the evening. Started the car up and then noticed smoke rising instantly from beneath the bonnet. So i lifted the engine to find the bunch of cables behind the intercooler glowing like an electric bar heater. As you can imagine, i started to panick and switched the engine off. Nothing happened. Holy S***t i'm thinking - i'm going to loose my car. I dashed for my tool box to find the correct spanner to get the battery unplugged. Luckily as soon as i had done this the wires stopped glowing.

Ok it might just be that this problem was about to occur wether it had been to this garage or not but how can i prove this. I aint got a leg to stand on. I'm gonna get stung again as i always do. Its just too much of a coincidence though.

The car is now dead. Nothing works. It looks like ive fried all the cables behind the intercooler.

The garage in question has been kind enough to pick the car up and have a look (seeing as ive just spent 3.5k with them in the last two months i should think so to). But whats to stop them from saying that it was nothing to do with them?

Anyway, the question is is it a big job to get the re-wiring done behind the intercooler?

Has this ever happened to anybody else?

P.s. if the garage in Q are reading this. I hope you can understand that i'm interested to know what others feel
Old 02 May 2003, 06:34 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its not hard to replace the wires behind there.. just need to find each end and solder a replacement wire in, but they have probably melted elsewhere...

Auto electrician time, or new loom.. (which will cause probs with alarms and immobilisers..

Clean it up and find out how many wires have had it..

David
Old 02 May 2003, 06:48 PM
sparkster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks David, thats given me food for thought.

My car is becoming the laughing stock of the office. I think i must have done something bad in a previous life to deserve this!
Old 03 May 2003, 02:41 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

You think YOU'VE got problems......
Old 04 May 2003, 11:00 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

It's not green is it??

Andy
Old 04 May 2003, 11:47 AM
sparkster
Scooby Regular

Seem to have found the problem. It doesnt have anything to do with the knocklink.

Having removed the old down pipe and fitted a new SS one, it seems that there has been a problem with Lambda sensor and the wires related to it.

Basically, what the garage is saying is that the wires become quite degraded around the area of the down-pipe. When the new down-pipe was fitted, the wires must have been damaged in their frail state.

Warning to all you older WRX owners. If you get a down-pipe fitted, make sure that the wiring to the Lambda sensor is sound!!!
Old 04 May 2003, 11:50 AM
sparkster
Scooby Regular

Turbo-steve - i never mentioned that in the last two months, ive blown my engine + needed to get a new clutch and brakes. LOL.

Thats why my work mates are laughing their heads off