Notices

AFR Readings changed

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2003, 11:39 AM
Chod
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car MY97UK, Full decat, Dawes set at 1.1 bar Peak, 1 bar Held (not hitting fuel cut), Forge VTA dump valve, ITG Panel. RR'd at 247.5 bhp (fueling ok).

Normally get blue/green lights on my AFR with full WOT in 3rd & 4th.

Checked it this morning and only getting Amber with the odd flicker of Red!! Nothing has changed on the car and it seems to be running ok.

Any ideas why this could have changed?

Thanks

Terry
Old 02 May 2003, 01:26 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Your MAF sensor maybe on it's way. There are three symptoms of MAF failure. One where your idle fluctuates, the other is where the car goes in limp home mode, low bost, rough running, etc (these two symptoms let you know that there is a problem) and the third one is where the car starts to run lean, this is the bad one cos if you don't have an AFR you don't know you have a problem. The car just feels like it's getting faster, however this is happening because the car is starting to run lean. Eventually the engine dets then pops.

Take it very easy with the car. Keep off boost and get it checked out. If it really is running lean you need to catch the problem quickly.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 02 May 2003, 01:59 PM
Chod
Scooby Regular

Thanks Wrexy

I have just received my knocklink, so I can get that installed this weekend. I may also take the dawes off to let the ECU control boost. What do you think? I was just saying to my mate that my car felt lively last night. Hmmmmmmmm.

Will a dealer be able to spot a failing MAF on Select or would I be better taking it to Roger Clarke's (only live 5 mile away and never used them before).
Old 02 May 2003, 03:47 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
If your car does go into limp home mode, your Dawes will override the 0.5 bar maximum boost, so be careful.
Old 02 May 2003, 08:26 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

If the select monitor works like Delta Dash does then it will be able to pick it up. (Delta Dash works on scoobs from MY99 and up so unfortunately you are stuck with the select monitor) To be able to diagnose this problem the car has to be taken for a drive preferably in 3rd gear at WOT from say 4000rpm and up. They must view the O2 sensor readings to determine if the mix has started to lean out.

With this fault it does not show on the select monitor at idle. Car has to be driven and the O2 sesnsor readings observed.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 03 May 2003, 11:55 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Doesn't seem right to me, I think thats good advice from Wrexy.

Les
Old 03 May 2003, 02:57 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Terry,

Taking off the Dawes is probably a good idea. However if you don't punt it, till you find out whether you do have a problem, you should be right leaving it on.

Even if you remove the Dawes, you still must keep off boost till you find out if anything is wrong. Not worth risking.

Cheers,

Wrexy.