Notices

Just got tek2 and getting weird smells from engine

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2003, 08:23 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just had a tek2 fitted to go with my existing decat on a uk 99 turbo, seems to be peaking at 1.3bar but only for a moment and then it stabalises at 1.15/1.2 according to my defi.

Anyway, after going for a blast and really hammering it i'm sitting at the lights and the fans come on and all i can smell is what i can only describe as a hot damp smell, kinda like when you take wall paper off with one of those strippers (but more toxic smelling), I'm quite worried as this is my first real performance mod and the car drives fabulous now AND the engine temperature needle on the dash is closer to C than it is H so all looks fine.

Any ideas, at first I thought it might be some crap boiling up off the turbo but surely it would have gotten this hot before with the old ecu so I dont get it.

When they installed it all the sensors reported back fine apart from the O2 sensor which they replaced.
Old 10 March 2003, 08:36 PM
ricco
Scooby Regular

Question

Not sure mate, could it be the clutch?
Old 10 March 2003, 08:41 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

doesnt smell like clutch to me, but then again i've only smelt Nova SR and Fiesta RS clutches Is scooby likely to be the same smell?

I doubt its clutch actually, I deliberately dont boot the car from standing because its such a violent thing to do to the car, even when standard its truly insane so I just dont do it much, the few times its done the smell is when i've already been cruising and decided to go for it and wound it up in 3rd and just kept going (3rd is so much fun), doubt the clutch would be burning up under those conditions?
Old 10 March 2003, 10:03 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Safest thing is get it checked at the installers.

Subaru clutches smell like smelly feet IMHO

1.3 bar is a bit high for a peak, unless you Defis are over-reading. Tek 2 zooms in on 1.1 bar for a boost target, and you would expect peaks in top gear up to say 1.2 bar.

As I say get it all checked to put your mind at rest even if it is just a smelly clutch.
Old 10 March 2003, 10:13 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

will do, cheers.

I've been keeping my eye on the gauge and using the record function, it seems it boost up high, whether this is just needle momentum or not I dont know but its a stepped needle (defi bf's) so I doubt it. it then almost instantly lays back and wobbles around 1.15/1.2