Notices

wots the best ECU to go for on my RB5

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2003, 11:27 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car has full open neck HKS d/p with super dragger c/p and rear box and pipercross air filter

non prodrive

Old 09 March 2003, 12:39 PM
kevperth
Scooby Regular

John banks is your man. he has posted a reply on "what does a dumpvalve do" .he is very knowledgeable and will keep you right
Old 09 March 2003, 12:56 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mark,

If you want to keep the Subaru theme, then a 2nd-hand PPP will give you a boost injection. I bought a PPP ECU about a year ago, but I wasn't impressed with it at all. A couple extra PSI of boost was OK and it did feel it pulled better through all the gears, but I just didn't think it was worth the money (even 2nd-hand).

A EcuTek Tek2 is about the same performance wise, but is a better mapping IMHO.

If you don't want to go for a custom re-map (i.e. Link or Tek3), I'd speak to John about his Tek2.5. He kindly let me have a play of that for a week and it was a good deal better than the PPP.

It's an off-the-shelf map that John developed to give you a bit more performance than the Tek2, but keeping everything nice and safe so it can be just plugged-in.

Do you have a boost guage and knock detector fitted to your car? I'd get those if you're thinking of increasing the amount of boost you're running.

Stefan
Old 09 March 2003, 02:13 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Be wary about the PiperX if you mean an induction kit (mushroom) - they are a bit dodgy for failed MAF sensors.

Best depends on what you want, what you want in the future and how much you want to spend. Have a little search back in this forum and you will find pros/cons of at least the following listed:

Unichip, Link, MoTeC, GEMS, Power FC and Ecutek.

In addition you will find stuff on Dawes and electronic boost controllers, as well as info on knocklink, lambdalink or Dawes AFR and boost gauges. Have a read up on MAF sensors as well.

Swallowing that little lot will get you informed about what you need to do to take your car on a step further
Old 09 March 2003, 03:42 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

i want the ECU to still be safe for the engine so i was thinkin a mapped ecu to my car would be best wouldnt it?

the boost peaks at 1.2 and holds 1 bar (from dyno run) 245bhp, 237lb/ft torque.

from wot i read the PPP ECU is only really set up for having the prodrive c/s and back box and i/c piping that was fitted as the package deal.

i have seen stuff like possum link/10 link ECU/Ecutek etc all mentioned but dont really understand the difference and saftey each offers. (hence my post)

i dont wana have to go fitting knock sensors guages etc, if it means i do then i would rather go without the ECU

by fitting a ECU wot sorta bhp increase would be seen

Old 09 March 2003, 03:45 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

regarding my piperX cone, wot filter,if any, would u say was safe to use then for the maf sensor. or should i just re fit the standard box and filter back?

john, do u lend out a ecu to try and test that can just be plugged in for me to try?
Old 09 March 2003, 05:22 PM
R.B.5
Scooby Regular

I'd be interested in one too for my RB5. Dont want to go down the modifying route too much as i've had two engines blow on me in the space of 2 months.

Old 09 March 2003, 09:12 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I personally think the standard, K&N or ITG panel filters, or a K&N 57i induction kit, or if fitting a FMIC and keeping the MAF (but getting an IMMEDIATE REMAP) and APS induction kit that fits in the wing.

You'll need to do some digging and research in the forums here to see what will be best for you.

Most mappers work on the basis that you go for mapping and if you do not like the results it is returned to standard and you pay nothing.

Re the frequent engine failures - the last thing you want to do is tune that engine until you establish the cause of the failures and correct it.

Did they replace or check the following:

All engine sensors (especially MAF sensor)
Fuel pump
Fuel injectors
Fuel pressure regulator

If they didn't you are a sitting duck for a third engine failure, tuning it will only hasten its miserable end unless you check all the above and possibly more depending on the circumstances of the failure.
Old 09 March 2003, 10:32 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Cool

Have one of JB's tek 2.5's fitted .... The smile on my face has increased, but I feel my wallet my get lighter due to needing tyres that more often

Plus I found JB very helpful

Dave.
Old 10 March 2003, 03:14 PM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

I can second JB's Tek2.5. Had this done about 6 weeks ago and the difference is amazing. Well worth £500

Sean