Notices

1.2bar overboost in 4th at 40mph on post service test drive dealer reckons? True?

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2003, 06:17 PM
STeye
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just got a 30K service done and a hybrid turbo fitted at the same time. I specified to the girl when I took it in that when it gets taken out for a test drive to use very low boost cause the mapping session isn't until next saturday.

I reset the Defi's and leave them to it.

Go to pick it up and check the Defi's. 1.2bar!! The car had only done two miles since I left it, not enough for the oil to of got to a decent temp and the fact that I told them NOT to do it cause of the mapping.

So I ask to speak to the service manager and explain the problem.

He reckons that the car was just taken down the road to a bit where it goes uphill then in 4th it gets floored and this is were the 1.2bar comes from He says it was overboost and this is a test that is always done????

Now as I understand it the boost gauge will read 1.2 bar when the RPM is roughly say 4500,5000 in 2nd 3rd etc yer? but he reckons that this is not always the case and that the engine RPM is not always directly related to boost, he then went on about how he used to work for Cosworth and how the guys working on the subarus take great care in their work and they never treat it like a toy etc etc.

In the end I got pi$$ed off with his babbling and left cause I do not fully understand what overboost is and when it can occur so therefore could not argue that he was talking bollx.

I thought overboost occurs when the rpm is very high and the level of boost set in the ECU is exceeded so it opens the wastegate quickly resulting in a substantial reduction in boost resulting in the 'hitting a tree' affect.

Can someone advise me on this situation before I write a nasty letter to Subaru and make an **** of myself.

STeye.
Old 27 February 2003, 06:25 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

It's a very small turbo if it gets 1.2 bar at much less than 3000rpm, certainly!
If they were driving carefully, there's not a chance this could happen.
Accidentally getting to 1.2bar???
Old 27 February 2003, 08:25 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

So on a test drive of not very far they take cars up a hill in 4th and floor it!!!

and need I remind myself why I now service my car myself?

Fine then take said manager for a ride in the car and do 40mph up the hill he tells you about in 4th once the car is upto temp and when it doesn't boost to 1.2bar... gotcha!!

JGM
Old 28 February 2003, 06:57 AM
STeye
Scooby Newbie

I was thinking about it last night and he was totally missing the point that i was trying to make to him about the link not being mapped for the new turbo so it could run lean and det may start occuring.

I now think that he thought my ECU was standard (even though I kept saying I had the link) so he thought I was moaning at the 1.2bar being overboost and over the limit of the original ECU at 0.9/1.0 bar not because of the remapping issue that I was concerend about.

OK next question,

Am I ok to give the car some stick as long as I keep my eye on the knock and AFR sensors before the remap, is the remap just to tweak the max potential out of the turbo so me caning it will not be such a problem as I am making myself think.

Old 28 February 2003, 08:59 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

IMO - No dont do it, wait for the mapping!
Old 28 February 2003, 04:27 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

Angry

take him up the 'test route' & PROVE that you would NEVER hit 1.2bar ... then you have a case!
there is NO WAY you'd hit that sort of boost unless you'r around the 3k mark & I doubt that's 40mph !

even if it's not mapped properly, watch those lights & ONLY do it for a few seconds to prove it couldnt happen.

they go back & rip the crap out of them & get money off your service!

Steve
(who'll never trust a Subaru main dealer after the experiences he's had!)
Old 28 February 2003, 04:52 PM
alanjack
Scooby Regular

Nor will I[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]