Notices

tensioner MY01

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2003, 01:47 AM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have posted bout this earlier.

The problem is my car (MY01) has a knocking noise. I had my dealer listen to it and he said it was the slap. I told him that if it got worse I want it fixed and he agreed. He told me it could not be the tensioner as it would sound much louder. It got worse during the cold weather (and more kmīs) and since my 12500 km service is up soon I told him to fix it. Now the noise was suddenly normal (according to him) and I thought he was trying to give me the good old "they all do that sir" story. He actually started all the other (2) Impreza turbo cars in the dealership to prove it but none made the sound. Finally he offered to call the importer (Subaru Benelux) who told him it was the tensioner. They also told him that problems with pistonslap didnīt exist on the ī01 and that a unhappy guy from the UK once had written a letter directly to Japan concerning this problem. His car was fixed with a new belttensioner.

My question is: Is it true that MY01 does not suffer from the slap.

Can anyone confirm that they had their MY01 repaired for this and that the fix cured the noise?

I think and hope a new tensioner will cure mine but what if that is not the case?

Any help and comments will be appreciated.

BTW noise began at approx. 3000 kmīs (1875 miles) and is bought in Belgium. Motor run in according to owners manual. Bought from new (120kmīs on the clock. Is this normal, hope it is not a demo) in oct 2002 (overstored).
Old 21 February 2003, 06:43 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

my01's don't suffer from the dreaded slap if you put a warranty claim in for it i.m throw it out and say do the tensioner. if your a bit handy with spanners take the cam belt covers off and see what colour paint mark is on the tensioner if it's blue it's the old type and needs to be changed for the modded type which has a green paint mark on it.
Old 22 February 2003, 08:13 AM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

Scoobyboy

Are you saying that the problem exists but is not officially approved by Subaru on a MY01 and therefore they wonīt fix it on the warranty?
Old 22 February 2003, 03:33 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i'm saying piston slap does not exist on a my01 but tensioners are a problem which providing it's a euro import you should get under warranty.
Old 23 February 2003, 04:00 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Scoobyboy
I remember a previous thread on this subject and you kindly quoted the price of a new tensioner for me. A couple of questions :-
Under which section of cover does the tensioner lurk? A bit of a pain to have to remove the pulley and centre cover to check the colour code!
If the tensioner is faulty what would be the eventual result if not corrected?
If the tensioner is not doing its job properly at idle would this be indicated by any noticable belt "flap" if the nearside cover (the easy one) was removed for observation?
Hope you don't mind all this! Cheers JohnD (99my)

[Edited by JohnD - 2/23/2003 4:01:32 PM]
Old 23 February 2003, 09:28 PM
TARManiAC
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone for the help. The tensioner is being
replaced friday. Iīll return with a report.

Claus