Notices

car useing lots of water again!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2003, 06:53 PM
cliveyboy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

hi all got my wrx98 back on fri,with a rebuilt engine in,have ran it for 320miles now and last night the temp gauge went right up,stopped topped the water up,then todaytook it back to the garage and overheated onthe way three times!!!!!,previous time was the bigend bearings, time before that was the headgasket,but also now i have a whinning noise comeing from my turbo, but have had that checked an all was ok,the chap who has put the engine in for me is now stumped,has pumped up the expantion bottle to see if the head gasket has gone again!!!!if this the case what would be the cause of this,and the whirringnoise from the turbo?any help appreciated,clive.
Old 12 February 2003, 02:31 PM
swan
Scooby Regular

Not perhaps and airblock in the system?
Old 12 February 2003, 02:35 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Airblock or Gasket?
Has the pressure gone up?
Steve
Old 12 February 2003, 06:25 PM
cliveyboy
Scooby Newbie

spoke to the guy today, and the presure in the expansion bottle had gone down,he's going to do a pressure test on the cylinders tomorrow, but he seems to think it's the turbo thats useing the water,what do you think?if it is the headgasket what wouldcause this to go again?i have been very gentle just doing the 300odd miles never going over 3thous rpm or getting the turbo in,but well sick of this now been over a yr soon to get thuis far and to get the car back then to havethis happen,just want my reliable scooby back that i once had,maybe def evo7 time,but any ideas many thanx,clive.
Old 12 February 2003, 06:32 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
After the frst head gasket failure, did they skim the heads, and block, and check the heads for cracks.

I'll be amazed if the turbo is the cause of your water loss, although if it wasn't stripped and cleaned after the big end failing, then the chances are that the bearing debri has damaged a bearing.

I suspect you have to seperate problems.

Mark.
Old 12 February 2003, 10:35 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Always difficult to identify problems remotely without seeing car. Could be simply airblock or incorrect filling/bleeding of cooling system. What do you mean by overheating three times? ..... Lots/some coolant blowing off? Or, just the gauge showing higher than usual readings? Is the coolant system being highly over pressurised? Simply replacing a head gasket(s)is not enough. If serious previous overheating occurred could be any number of things.... not just head gasket, but, warped heads or even cracked cylinder head allowing compression into the coolant passageways and/or coolant into the cylinders. With engine running (idle) and placing a tissue covered hand briefly over the exhaust pipe, do you get moisture on your hand/tissue? Slowly releasing coolant pressure cap could also reveal over pressurised system ... BE VERY CAREFUL when checking this!!!!! Hot coolant under pressure is dangerous!!!! Always use sturdy gloves to protect skin etc.

Any road up, get a good second (or third) opinion. Good luck.