Notices

Sensible Mods???

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2003, 08:22 AM
beano
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm toying with the idea of keeping my MY99 5 door turbo, rather than purchasing the new 03 facelift.

The car is totally standard, as I never wanted to invalidate it's warranty.

So can any one offer me a sensible solution to increasing my low/mid range torque without comrpimising the running of the car, as I'm no mechanic!

Is it worth looking at the PPP at £1600 or are there better, cheaper alternatives?

I'm not worried about my 1/4 mile time or lap time around a track, just want to increase the fun factor for the weekend thrash!

Thanks.
Old 07 February 2003, 02:09 PM
beano
Scooby Regular

does anyone have any idea's on this?

Spoke to the dealer, PPP for MY99 = £1995 for 245bhp.

Would Ecutek and exhaust system (Scoobysport/magnex) offer better performance and price without any detrimental effects on the engine.

Could someone please enlighten me!!!!
Old 07 February 2003, 02:23 PM
RB5320
Scooby Regular

I am no expert at all but as there are no other comments so far, I previously had a standard MY99, which I have replaced with an RB5 WR (basically a normal MY99 with PPP). The PPP'd car is noticably faster, much more torque, mid range is very strong. So, as a package the PPP works very well. However, its main advantage is in maintaining the warranty. If this is no longer a consideration you would almost certainly get better results for considerably less money elsewhere, for example Ecutek plus exhaust.

Steve
Old 07 February 2003, 02:46 PM
Impret-Sir
Scooby Regular

I fitted a Tek2 EcuTek ECU, takes about 15 minutes in total,to my MY00 turbo and the results were very good. And I havent fitted an uprated zorst yet either! If you do both I expect you will be well pleased, and have lots of spare cash from your budget left over.
Old 07 February 2003, 02:52 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Beano, I guess you must be outside the warranty now (unless you've extended it).

I've got a full exhaust and a Tek2 on my 99, and it is good for around 270bhp and 250lb/ft.

I've run the car like this for a while and is an enormous improvement on the standard one. That having been said I have never been in a PPP'd one, so couldn't compare the two.

Nice and reliable and safe, and I would definitely recommend this route.

Matt
Old 07 February 2003, 04:39 PM
JIM THEO
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Beano in case you are interested for PPP upgrade I have a PPP ECU for MY99-00 for sale and you can buy whatever centre section/back box you prefer, e-mail me as per profile.
JIM
Old 07 February 2003, 06:23 PM
beano
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers guy's,

Yep, the warranty has just expired, car was on PCP so need to do my sums to see if it's worth keeping the MY99 (23k, no mechanical defects...yet!) or getting a MY03.

I just popped down to Scoobysport, unfortunately they were closed, but spoke briefly to another Scooby owner there about the Ecutek.
I will get down there tomorrow and see what they can offer me.

No doubt about it Ecutek alone appears to offer better performance gains than the PPP and with the addition of a full system could mean alot of fun and big smiles!

Decision time anyway!

Thanks again for your views.

P.S If anyone from Southern Essex has PPP on a Standard UK turbo, any chance of meeting up so I can experience the difference...just a thought!

Old 07 February 2003, 09:58 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you want to see several ways to get more, take a trip ropund the M25 to Power Engineering in Uxbridge tommorrow, (saturday), there's a rolling road meet going on, should be quite interesting, I've got my00, full decat, panel filter, and a dawes. I'm reckoning on about 255bhp, and similar torque, we'll see!