Notices

Airbag connectors... any difference between MY97 and MY99 Momo?

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2003, 04:39 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to do the MY97 "bus" steering wheel to MY99 Momo upgrade, swapping to the new airbag as well.

I know a few people have done this before, so I'm wondering if the connectors are different for the airbags? Swapping them isn't a problem I've done airbag swaps before on a different car so know the risks and procedure.

While I'm at it is the horn connector different as well?
Old 19 January 2003, 05:22 PM
scrappydog
Scooby Regular

Horn connector is the same as far as I can remember. The airbag connector is definately different between MY95 (same steering wheel as MY97) and MY99. But I've never seen a MY97 close up so I don;t know. However, the swap should be fairly easy anyway - just rewire the connectors or buy some new ones. I re-wired by carefully un-crimping the old ones and re-crimping & soldering on the car side. probably not recomended to solder on airbag side!

Cheers,

Andy
Old 19 January 2003, 07:02 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate. How is the airbag connector on the car side wired to the steering column? Is it hard-wired to the clock spring or is there a connector on the other side allowing it to be removed? Just wondering cos the guy I'm getting the steering wheel off probably won't want to cut the connector to remove it.

Failing that where can I buy the connector on its own?

Anything else that might cause a problem with the swap?

Thanks for your help.
Old 19 January 2003, 07:33 PM
scrappydog
Scooby Regular

Connector is a yellow thing with an interlocking green sliding clip. In theory easy to detatch, but can be a b*itch to undo. You can buy them, I did see something on a website about where to get them from, but I don't know where it was (sorry).

The horn connector is another block type connect or white. They are the same between models I think - but if not, it just terminates as a spade connector on the wheel side so you should be able to connect easily enough.

Apart from that, it's a very straight forward job. I assume you know to disconnect battery for at least 15min, handle with care and how to get the wheel off.

Goot luck,

Andy