Notices

Fuel Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2003, 06:32 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have a 96 Type RA and am slowly improving it...i'm now looking at upgrading the injectors and wondered what i should look at getting.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 11 January 2003, 08:32 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on how much power you want, what components you are going to use, how much you want to spend, how reliable you want it.
Old 11 January 2003, 08:50 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

Cheers John....

Well it has a complete TSL Firestorm de-cat system, looking at an uprated turbo and FMIC.

Just fitting an uprated clutch & lightened flywheel, Superchips ABC chip.

I'm just trying to use the car for weekend fun realy.

Understand i will need an up-rated fuel pump too.
Old 12 January 2003, 01:44 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

What happens if i uprate the turbo then ???

I have aso had differing opinions about the superchip ???
Old 12 January 2003, 02:35 AM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Had a superchip for about 2years and at the time it served it`s purpose (Raise boost cut) and allow me to run LARGE boost (26psi)
however as the car has developed & like most folk do other
"upgrades" have been added I would recommend similar parts to John, however I`d make the programmable ecu the first item to obtain. As there is absolutely no point in the other things turbo, uprated injectors, fuel pump, FMIC etc unless you can make the most of them. Sure a mechanical valve here and there can be added, but at the end of the day a mappable ecu will keep all the control where it should be "at hand"

Pete
Old 12 January 2003, 02:36 AM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

I think the general consensus here is that Superchips are anything but super.
I have never yet seen one person recommend them for a subaru, and I have also not personally heard any recomendations.
Get the job done right. As your car is 96, I dont think there are too many ecu reprogramming options available ( apart from DIY Scoobyecu ) or an aftermarket management system.
Old 12 January 2003, 02:53 AM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sorry Stevie,
But I used to recommend them providing an AFR gauge was fitted and HKS AFR to make small fueling adjustments. I personally ran my WRX with that setup for 2 years without any problems or damage to the engine, and using my right foot as the boost controller
As mappable ecu`s were not readily available "back in the days" we were a bit limited for options Now they are though and as such I`d now recommend a link or such like for the earlier scoobs.
Again though this is dependant on budget restraints.

L8r
Pete

Trending Topics

Old 12 January 2003, 11:57 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Pete, my concerns are that the AFR gauges are inaccurate and the single channel AFR is a single control over the whole RPM/TPS/boost range and also affects ignition timing, and that an AFR will not tell you if it is detting. Andy F could not run 26 PSI without extensive mods to sort out the detonation. It took a charge cooler with water injection or uppipe/straight compressor inlet to achieve this. Were you running 26 PSI for 2 years with the TMIC? If so could the almost inevitable low grade detonation from this over time have contributed to your recent engine failure? What do you reckon?

Certainly I have to take masses of timing off to run double factory boost even with FMIC and breathing mods.
Old 14 January 2003, 06:05 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Hi John,

In general i.e. when plumbed straight in2 the std factory lambda sensor yes I`d generally agree with you on the afr gauge comment.
However as you know there are a variety of decent lambda sensors
which do give more accurate readings at a price.

The single channel afr comment is fair enough, as you have rightly identified that it will not advise of det, what I will say here though is when you work out how often the car is actually running at full steam I was moderately safe in the approach of using my left foot for boost & detanation control.
Yes this was carried out with the TMIC and no mod to it other than a basic full throttle triggered 4 point water spray system which i cobbled 2gether and full induction system fed from inner wing

The assumption that the low grade det contributed to my recent engine failure again is fair enough, but being perfectly honest I`d say that it`s more likely the way the engine was being pushed recently and the fact I hadn`t repaired a faulty piston
(running 60psi down) prior to the last 50 - 100 laps of Knockhill was the real reason for it`s demise

Never mind though it was a good excuse for a change

Pete
Old 01 November 2003, 09:18 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Strongly advice against the Superchip. Waste of money and engine safety IMHO.

FMIC, knocklink, 550cc injectors (if sticking with the original turbo) and remappable ECU would be a good next step.

[Edited by john banks - 1/11/2003 9:22:11 PM]