Notices

noisy boost control solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2003, 12:05 AM
huet564
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boost control solenoid has recently started to tick at idle, also idle speed slightly higher than normal (approx 950 - 1050 revs). the prob. is very intermitent and if the engine is switched off and started again the fault has gone.Problem may have started after messing with idle valve (suspect this may need cleaning)

UK MY97

any one got any ideas?

Thanx stu
Old 09 January 2003, 10:01 AM
Colin P
Scooby Regular

I also have MY97 and my boost solonoid ticks but no over symptoms.
Would love to know the cure, it has be sugested on here cleaning the solonoid out??
Old 09 January 2003, 12:17 PM
Midget
Scooby Regular

Common problem on 97 MY
Remove the solenoid and fit additional bushes
Old 09 January 2003, 01:09 PM
Colin P
Scooby Regular

I have done that with neoprene bushes and washers. This will only reduce noise being transmitted through the body.
Can still hear the thing ticking.

Colin
Old 09 January 2003, 01:47 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

All,

if the solenoid ticks @ idle , then there IS a fault ! it should NOT do this ! it should only tick when you apply a little gas!

the fault appears to be that the ECU thinks you have the throttle open a little. turning off/on (leaving 2-3 secs for ecu to power down (watch the dash lights!)) makes it go away for a while.

I think it's to do with the TPS (throttle position sensor) or possibly the throttle body itself! giving different reading when it warms up / cools down etc.
Althought, the voltages appear to be the same when monitored on a select monitor when the car fault a) faulting b) normal !

I had this on my MY97 (common fault on this year ???) and it was fixed by replacing the throttle body (including TPS) with a new one.
my item was then placed on another car - which worked 100% and didnt error at-all !

during the whole of this, no CEL lights, No recored faults !!

Could be something to do with the IDCV (if that's right - the IDLE CONTROL VALVE) . but mine was fixed without touching this!

hope this helps some.
cheers
Steve
Old 09 January 2003, 08:29 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I have this on my MY97 too.
Fisrt I knew about it was a burning smell and the ticking on idle.
Took it off to clean it out and it stopped ticking and the burning smell went away. Now 6 weeks later the burning smell (coming from the solenoid) has returned. I've got a replacment which I'm going to fit this weekend. I'll let you know if it cures it.
Old 10 January 2003, 03:39 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

the main thing I think people get wrong is that this solenoid is controlled by the ECU, therefore if it's ticking at idle, then the ECU is telling it to tick ! & it should only do that when the throttle is opened. NOT on idle!

they tried a new valve on mind, but it still did it too.

the burning smell might be excess oil in youre pipework, so cleaning might help that.

I dont know if the ecu opens the throttle (IDCV) a bit & makes solenoid tick if it's breathers are blocked & has a hard time breathing on idle ???

I still think it's something to do with throttle body/TPS, as mine has had NOT occurances in the 5 (or so) months since it was changed !

let us all know what anyone finds out!

definatly looks like a REALLY common fault on 97's !!

Steve

Trending Topics

Old 10 January 2003, 11:55 PM
huet564
Scooby Newbie

Thanx alot guys,

thinking of taking it off the road for a few days to clean the throttle body and idle valve, could do with a bit of info on checking throttle position switch before hand though.

Thanx chaps. Stu
Old 12 January 2003, 01:42 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

Stu,

am trying to get the entier manual for our cars .. but it only seems like there are ones for pre97 availible (on the net).
but these mite give a clue.

from what I can remember, the TPS should read about 0.4 volts at idle +/- 0.3 or something like that... mite be totally wrong tho!

will let you know if I find any more info on the TPS etc.
god knows how you set up the IDCV tho !!

Steve
Old 12 January 2003, 03:27 PM
ronniebiggs
Scooby Regular

Cool

Interesting.
I have a MY94 and my solenoid valve ticks. I also know a man who imports impreza's and every car I have seen that has been brought over ticks. I dont know if there is a difference between the years. But ticking goes off when you apply a few revs.

From the experience of others I was adviced it is normal and nothing to worry about.
Regards Ronnie
Old 13 January 2003, 08:36 AM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

could be different between years!??? but I thought the idea of it ticking (specially at 98% duty cycle -as it does at that point) is to 'aid exhaust breathing' ! so it only ment to tick when a little gas is applied (that's what I've seen on every car I've seen. but willing to be proved wrong if that's the case !!)

maybe some of the after market maps (JUN etc), or aftermarket ECU's do it different ?!?

Steve