Notices

Howling engine noise at 120 (not wind) - WRX - anyone had similar problem?

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2002, 02:39 PM
wrxgirl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can anyone help? Don't know if anyone else has experienced a similar problem, but at 120 mph my 02 WRX makes a wierd screaming / howling noise - comes from the engine and not a wind-type noise - if I drop it back down to 118 it stops, back up and it happens again. It's only done 3,500 miles (from new) and never done this before ... the Dealers have said they drove it and didn't hear anything (but also don't have access to a rolling road to check it out properly and won't do much about it). It's pulling around 5,500 at that speed, but no noises when I pull that in other gears - just at that speed. I'd appreciate if anyone can shed any light on this, and also on how to get some service / response from Subaru UK!
Old 17 December 2002, 02:52 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
This happened to me when i first went over 120mph. This happened about 3 times. But when I had the PPP installed the sound disappeard completely. Even when the speedo was off the clock
My dealer also said they could not identify

ScoobyDoo69
Old 17 December 2002, 05:08 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

*Cough* 120?? Very long private road eh?

Its caused by airflow over the top edge of the windscreen and only normally happens when there's a bit of a cross wind too.

Its purely aerodanamic and a PPP will not fix it.

It can be a bit un-nerving when it first happens but its nothing to worry about and far too in frequent to bother trying to find a fix for.

As you need to be well into 3 figures for it to happen, I suspect Subaru may not be too interested.
Old 17 December 2002, 07:35 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Question

Just a thought - IIRC the 02 WRX is more like 25mph/1000rpm in top; I'm sure mine is somewhere in that region. 5500rpm in top at 120 sounds like too high revs? If it's really doing that, suggests that either speedo or rev counter is out of tolerance, unless it's the clutch slipping (seems unlikely)

Just mentioning it in case there are other glitches that should be sorted on the warranty.

Perhaps PPP stops the problem by either:
a - drowning it out with exhaust noise
b - accelerating you through the "trouble" speed much faster.