Notices

Check Light Gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2002, 09:16 PM
Spud100
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now and then (but becoming more regular) when I return to my 95' Turbo within two hours and restart it the check light will illuminate and the electric fan will start up, even if the engine is cold. Sometimes it goes straight off again, but other times it can flash on and off for up to 5 mins after starting, with the fan coming on with the light.
I thought it may be a faulty temp sender unit, but with the engine check light coming on makes me think its something else.
I would be grateful for any help on this as its giving me a major headache!

Cheers,
Chris
Old 09 December 2002, 08:29 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Sounds like possibly the engine coolant sensor. The ecu uses it to decide whether it is hot or cold.. the sensor is not giving a true signal so the ECU is going into panic mode and switching the fan on so it cannot overheat and switching on the check engine light.

Firstly make sure you have enough water in the rad.. if it is low and the sensor is getting air or no water then hot water etc then it might do this.. assume there is enough water in the rad then..

You can check the engine check light history, look under the steering column and in amongst the wires you should find two green plugs and two black plugs which are not connected to anything..
Mine were taped back to the wiring loom and a nightmare to find..
they were to the left of the steering column amoungst the big loom just about the pedals..

The two green ones are the check engine light wires..
Connect them together and switch the ignition on but don't start it and the check engine light should flash a code.. which you can decode here http://www.saxonfields.freeserve.co.uk/Scooby%20Page/ECU%20Diag%20Page.htm

Also on that site is the location of the sensors etc..

JGM