Notices

Losing Boost!

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2002, 09:02 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been on a rolling road today and only managed 186 BHP.

Everthing seemed to be ok, got to around 0.9 bar then it dropped to 0.6 then rose to 0.8 then tailed off.

It seems to drive ok and on the track last monday it seemed alright.

Any ideas where I should start to look would be much appreciated.

Tony
Old 23 November 2002, 09:40 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Have you checked all the hoses for air leaks and that the clamps are there and tight?

Iain.
Old 25 November 2002, 12:34 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

To be honest I wouldn't really know what hoses etc to check, however its due for a sevice in December so I may get the dealer to have a look, specially as it is still in warrenty (just in case its a large problem.

The idea of the post was to try to get a few ideas of what the problem may be so I cannot be fobbed off by the dealer.

thanks

Tony
Old 25 November 2002, 01:05 PM
ronniebiggs
Scooby Regular

What car are you driving if your oly getting 186bhp. Is it a UK turbo impreza!!

Check all connecting pipe work that has a clip on thats the easiest way to combat the leaking hose problem.

But to be specific, check under the intercooler (Doesnt need removing) there is a pipe going from it to the turbo. Make sure the clip is tight on this one. Make sure that any boost guage joins are still plumbed in and that one of the pipes hasnt come of.
apart from the obvious of checking all pipes! I carnt really think of anything else.
Possibly if you carnt find anything might be a worn boost solenoid, or a poor dump valve if youve got one.
Hope this helps
Ronnie
Old 25 November 2002, 03:05 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys,

Just spoken to dealer who thinks it could be an overboost problem and will have a look at service.

I do not really understand all this turbo stuff (bring back the mighty Cortina), but I will check all the hoses as suggested. If I find something is there any way that I can check to see if this is the fault without going on a rolling road.
Old 25 November 2002, 09:51 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Tony
Talking of hoses, check out the turbo to intercooler hose. This is a known weakness and anyone running higher than std. boost is usually advised to change this for a silicon jobbie. It is made from rather rigid plasticy/rubber material and is known to split with age and high boost. Although your's is running std. boost it is still worth checking? (Pretty simple to remove the intercooler to inspect)
I think if it were overboost the guys at TDI would have felt the fuel cut! Also if it was detting the ECU would have pulled the ignition advance back and/or the boost (can someone confirm if the boost would be reduced as well?) Once again the guys would have heard the det. and either aborted the run or at least reported it.
JohnD