Notices

Help with Rear 2pot Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2002, 07:29 PM
Andrew Q
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I recently purchased a pair of Rear 2pot Brakes off a MY01 for my MY98 Impreza. However, when I tried to fit them today they did not fit! The caliper mountings are spaced closer together and the disc rubs the back plate.

If I fit the whole rear hub assembly from the MY01 Impreza will that solve the problems or will I have other problems with the drive shafts not fitting etc? I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who have experienced this problem.

Andrew

[Edited by Andrew Q - 11/22/2002 8:07:35 PM]
Old 22 November 2002, 08:20 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
from memory the shafts, hubs, etc. are totally different
Old 22 November 2002, 10:00 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

If you can get the appropriate back plates for the caliper, then you can press out the bearing in your hub/driving flange, and swap them. Otherwise it is finding the right combination of shaft/rear hub to suit. Rear hubs of car with the small rear diff and 2 pots, should be fine. STI's may have the larger shafts, but its just a case of going to a breakers and getting teh parts you need. They should be able to tell you what you need from experience. Only thing about buying hubs of a crashed ar, is that an awful lot are bent, and you wont notice it until fitted, so inspect very carefuly.
Old 22 November 2002, 10:41 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Is it really worth all the effort just to get 2-pot rears? Personally I think they look quite good compared to the sliding caliper, but in terms of braking performance is it a noticable difference?

Seems many peeps even with mega upgraded fronts are sticking to OE pads on the rear since they don't do enough work to justify hotter pads like DS2500s.

I'm not talking from experience here, just an observation so I stand to be corrected
Old 23 November 2002, 11:48 AM
vsigma
Scooby Newbie

what the rear 2pots give you is anti-diving at limits..

when you upgrade to larger front brakes, you're not chaging the brake bias at all. so, when the front brakes kick in, you'll notice that your car is diving down somewhat (even with an upgraded suspension!!). What the 2 pot rears do is give more force out to the rear wheels, thus holding you level.

In terms of brake feel, there's a little improvement for normal driving. its when you start beating on the car (a-la track days) that you'll truly feel the difference.

For normal driving, I would say that getting upgraded brake fluids and stainless steel lines all around would be a better bang for the buck, as us silly americans would say

-victor
Old 23 November 2002, 08:33 PM
Andrew Q
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the advise and opinions I received, but I decided it was not worth all the extra work and expence.
I was able to return the rear brakes and had a refund. I've decided that the money I saved, will go towards Pagid Brake Pads and new stainless steel brake hoses.

Andrew