Notices

HKS Blowoff valve problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2002, 11:20 AM
e-volve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Just fitted the splendid SSQV Blowoff valve to my WRX, now here is the problem......when fitting it there is a small round reducer/filter that joins the vacume hose from the manifold to the back of the SSQV, Clive at RC Developments recomended that i do not include this item as it can cause problems,and just fit a reducer. but after fitting the SSQV i have found that i get a "fluttering " sound as well as the venting "chirp" sound ? is this normal in a subaru as i have heard the same valve on a GTIr and all they get is the Chirp sound....MMMmmmm
The Flutter also used to come through when i just had te induction kit fitted, but that was just the "re-surc" valve venting into the filter......any help on this would be cool as its getting me down..

cheers

ev
Old 04 November 2002, 11:33 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

The fluttering sound might actually be the wastgate chatter.

If it is then it is perfectly normal.

As usual with technical things I stand waiting to be corrected.
Old 04 November 2002, 12:40 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

When induction kits are fitting various noises can be amplified, I think your wastegate chatter is being amplified. Sure way to find out is go back to the normal air filter set-up and see if the noise goes away/reduces.
Cheers.
Ian.
Old 04 November 2002, 12:48 PM
e-volve
Scooby Regular

always the simplist answers.......cheers matey, i'll try it.......although its quite a distintive noise and its kinda cool too.............

jay
Old 04 November 2002, 02:20 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I'm not exactly sure which bit you're talking about here, but if it's the bit I think you are, then you are hearing the turbo chattering (or rather stalling); depending on your car - or rather it's turbo - you may be slowly breaking it... I can't work it out from just 'WRX', but if you have a MHI you're OK (sleeve bearing), but IHI (roller bearing) you're not! The thing that you were advised to not put on you want to put on - at least try it - it's the thing that ensures the dump valve actually dumps at the right time... quite important
Old 04 November 2002, 02:30 PM
e-volve
Scooby Regular

the car is an N reg jap WRX, but as for the turbo spec im not sure, but as you know more than me on the subject i will await you reply....cheers

any info is greatly recived

jay
Old 04 November 2002, 03:03 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

HKS SSQV BOV makes a chattering noise rather than pssst of the more common BOV's It sounds like wastegate chatter. IMO sounds brilliant and gets away from the Punto GT's you here going aroung going pssst

Trending Topics

Old 04 November 2002, 03:07 PM
e-volve
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

so its all good then?
nothing to worrie about then..thought it might be new turbo time...phew!!!!!
Old 04 November 2002, 03:49 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I'd still connect it - there is/can be a chatter noise, but only if you're running a large turbo/higher-than-usual boost, in which case the chatter is because the BOV isn't dumping the air fast enough. This can also be accompanied by a judder in the car.
I'd connect that tube if I were you - JDMs have IHI (VF series jobbies) which are roller-bearing and don't like being rammed with air (the chattering!)
Ont the other hand, I might be wrong, but I'd definately want to check this!
And it's only wearing on the bearings rather than out & out destructive (unless you're very unlucky ) so if it is what I think it is but it hasn't been doing it for very long, it shouldn't cause any trouble.
Old 04 November 2002, 04:01 PM
e-volve
Scooby Regular

there is a small 9mm bolt on the back of the SSQV that can be turned in order to "tune" the valve in, basicly to make the valve dump correctly...but due to me knowing sod all about the SSQV i thought it was just the noise it makes.....the car is running standard boost and a standard turbo....so ill look into fitting the item you sugested...

jay
Old 04 November 2002, 04:31 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

The bolt fiddles with the release pressure - really it only effects idling, AFAIK. If you're idling OK, don't touch it!
Old 04 November 2002, 04:34 PM
e-volve
Scooby Regular

the car idiles perfectly.....so best bet is to fit the little valve thingy an see where it goes from there?
Old 04 November 2002, 06:02 PM
NINJA
Scooby Regular

these valves will murder ur fuel consumption mine plummetted with this on have now reverted to recirc.still get a noise thru the induction kit
Old 04 November 2002, 06:25 PM
achad
Scooby Regular

Hey,

I got a HKS SSQV on a UK MY98. My brother has one on a Evo 6. Both makes the 'flutter' sound when the accelerator is released slowly (it is, very cool!). The only differences between the two are the Scoob has higher pitched 'pisssst' on quick release then the Evo and the scoob 'dumps' with very little boost dialed in.

Just out of interest (hope you don't mind). Does yours or anyone elce's 'dump' very early? (much earlier in comparison to the Evo6 that is) According to my boost gauge, it doesn't even make positive boost before the SSQV 'dumps' on quick release of the accelerator.

Thx
Anthony

P.S. I have fitted it in accordance to the Instruction (including that Vacuum pipe your talking about). Idling is a OK!
Old 04 November 2002, 07:50 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

I thought you had to fit the manifold pressure signal pipe otherwise how does it open to dump the pressure ?

Also yes mine seems to dump aswell when i'm still in negative pressure
Old 05 November 2002, 08:58 AM
e-volve
Scooby Regular

My SSQV dumps really quickly and i get a little "chirp" as well which is really nice, but i have not fitted the supplied filter/reducer ( what the hell is in that thing anyway? ).
I was just worried that the flutter would be some form of indication that it was screwing with my turbo.
As for the fule consuption..MMMMmmmmmm maybe yes but i put that down to, too frequent gear changes and big smiles.lol

anyways is gret to get all this feed back from you guys, its set my mind at rest.
Old 05 November 2002, 04:35 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

BTW, they do three different types of 'end' for the HKS SSBOV, to make it's pssssh sound louder/quieter/different, apparently purple, silver and gold.. the bit I'm referring to is the part that looks like the Mercedes badge, where the air exits (sorry, very non-technical)...
Old 05 November 2002, 04:38 PM
e-volve
Scooby Regular

Yup you are totaly right, i think it comes as standard with the silver one..........well mine did anyways