Notices

How to remove sills?

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2002, 03:07 PM
JulesB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure I've seen this before, but I cant find it now.
Anyone know how tricky it is to remove the side skirts and rear bumper extensions (99MY)?

Instuctions appreciated.

Fix and repaint front bumper (having been hit by a flying mud flap [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img])and colour coding mirrors & cills for £200 inc VAT. It would be rude not to, but I have to take 'em off and put 'em on.
Old 24 October 2002, 06:15 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

the side skirts, if like the legacy ones (think they are same fixing), then there may be a screw or two at the front and rear of each, underneath. then just grab them and one end, and the just pull off...they use 'pop on' type fixings along their length.

ian
Old 24 October 2002, 09:37 PM
JulesB
Scooby Regular

Question

Thanks Ian

Are the pop off fixings the self-destruct type that need to be replaced?

Anyone? Or is it really that easy?
Old 24 October 2002, 11:46 PM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

they will most likely self destruct. Mine did when i tried this. If you are careful, you may be able to slide it off instead of using brute force
Old 25 October 2002, 09:54 AM
dnb
Scooby Regular

This is based on my MY96, but they should be very similar...

Sill skirts are easy. there are 4 self tapping screws that go into plastic inserts on the underside. Remove these and gently ease the sill skirt away from the car (horizontally) they are in 2 pieces on each side.

The bumper skirts are a different story. There is a self destructing fastener underneath the bumper (numberplate end), another self tapping screw thing that fits in a metal clip (that will rust solid in 3 weeks of ownership, and therefore self destruct) and two metal plates that the trim slides onto from the front of the car.

Best bet is to have a look, and don't be rough with them, especially when they are painted. as it is far too easy to crack the new paint
Old 25 October 2002, 12:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Cool

That quote for £200 sounds good, but make sure the guy will use 2-pack paint, otherwise you'll see it a different colour under streetlights etc.
My sills were held on by about 7 bolts with captive washers. I replaced them with stainless ones and seperate stainless washers when I did the job. They also had a plastic clip at the front, that has a centre that needs to be eased about 10mm outwards BEFORE pulling out the clip. The centre pin can be eased out with a sharp point, eg: schooltype compass.
The sills then have "pop" type clips along their length, but are flexible enough to pull them upwards, locate the clip, and ease it with a flat screwdriver blade. If you do manage to break any, your local Subaru dealer will source you some within a couple of days, and they're dirt cheap. Take the old one in to show them, it helps to identify which one you need.
Side sills, as stated, are in two pieces. You'll also find a length of flexible black plastic along the upper edge, a black plastic strip in ther centre under the join, and a black plastic shaped piece at the rear. I'd advise you to leave all 3 bits black, as they don't take paint easily.
The flexible strip will need pealing off the top of the sills b4 you take them in to have 'em sprayed.
The rear skirts have clips/screws as detailed in previous posts, but once you've undone all you can see, they SLIDE off towards the front of the car.
Mirrors come off by removing the inner cover, undoing three screws, then, if it's an electric one, taking the door apart to get at the plug and socket for the electrics!!
Once you've got the door apart, why not take off the door handles and have them coded too? I did, and it adds to the "look".
All in all, you've an afternoon's work here, including door handles, less if you decide not to do them. It IS worth it though.
Alcazar
Old 25 October 2002, 01:18 PM
JulesB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks guys.
Better get to it by the sounds of things, at least they are taking the mirrors off for me (and yes its the full monty paint, two pack with plastisizer).

Trending Topics

Old 25 October 2002, 02:50 PM
dnb
Scooby Regular

I did say slide - I should add "doesn't slide easily either..."
Old 25 October 2002, 10:55 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
i know someone in the area who is excellent at fixing and resprying imprezas private mail me and ill get his telephone no for you never know he might be cheaper without having to take the parts off