Notices

smell of burning oil from turbo area...

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2002, 08:41 PM
annointed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For about 2 months I've noticed the odor of burning oil (no, its not the same as burning clutch or toasted electrical insulation. It's definitely burnt oil). I can smell it especially when I sit at a light, or run the motor to near full boost before its fully warmed up (I generally don't do this).

When I lift the hood, the smell is strongly concentrated at the turbo. Has anyone had this? Would this be a symptom of coked bearings? I have a '94 WRX with TD05, and have been planning to upgrade the turbo, but first I'd like to isolate the source of this problem. The car does not seem to burn oil, which I change every 3k miles...at MOST, it loses .1 or .2 quarts.

Thanks,

Mark

"Don't hate me because my Impreza's beautiful."
http://www.subarureview.com/bio.php?name=annointed
Old 23 October 2002, 11:02 PM
planky
Scooby Regular

It could be the cam cover leaking(turbo side),they are prone to leak on that side.
Old 23 October 2002, 11:06 PM
grahamfrary
Scooby Regular

a) "or run the motor to near full boost before its fully warmed up (I generally don't do this)." - I would suggest you don't do this ever, not even occasionally.
b) Check the bottom of the cam cover for a very small leak. Any oil leaking from here blows straight back onto the bottom of the up-pipe or the manifold and the smell fumes drift up from the turbo area. Even a couple of drops smell and you would hardly notice any oil useage.
c) I've never experienced it but my guess is you would know blown turbo bearings by the large cloud of blue smoke behind and a loud rattling noise.

Graham
Old 23 October 2002, 11:36 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

I've got a similar problem on my 94WRX. It's also been suggested that it may be power steering fluid that's burning. I dont notice it at all until the car is warmed up. It's worse when (like you mentioned) i'm stopped at lights or something with the heater on and the windows closed.
Old 24 October 2002, 02:40 AM
annointed
Scooby Regular

Well, in the past 3 months that I've had this problem, I've probably boosted the engine maybe 3 times before it was totally warmed up, and it was always out of necessity. Each time I happened to notice a stronger odor of burnt oil, so I figured I'd mention it, even though I risk being flamed for "abusing" my EJ20. I watch my engine coolant gauge, and consider the car warmed up 3-8 minutes after coolant reaches 85-86 degrees Celcius. This is because engine oil takes longer to warm up than coolant, and tranny oil takes even longer still. On cold days, I figure the car is warmed up 10 minutes AFTER coolant is fully warmed.

Also, I know its not power steering fluid, as that has its own distinct smell. My power steering fluid was leaking so badly over the summer that I had to refill it every two days, so I got very aquainted with the smell of burning power steering fluid. I also blew a coolant hose, and had billows of yellow smoke coming out of my hood vents, so I am familiar with the smell of cooked coolant. Not to mention fried electrical insulation and of course the famous burnt clutch smell, and over heated brake pad smell. I am very intimate with the smells of my car, but this burning oil smell has me stumped! You fellas have posted many helpful ideas, and I'll check 'em out, thanks! Keep 'em coming.

Mark
Old 24 October 2002, 08:33 AM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

ME TOO !

had it up on ramps and you can see that oil, although very small amount, has dripped from the underside of the turbo heat sheald onto the downpipe, just around/after the 1st cat (that reminds me - I must get rid of that! )

have also monitored oil useage, and it doesnt! only occasionally get the smell now, but when it 1st started the car had been idling for about 30minutes (dont ask!) and when I drove away & stopped at the next round-about I couldnt see for all the oil smoke out ALL vents/scoops etc !

I figured it might have been some coolent split at the last service (only about 1/2hr before hand) that had dis-lodged some oil on the underside of the heatshield & thus gone runny again & spilt onto the zorst !

No blue smoke at startup or hard thrash, or idle .. & no big crunchy noises either.. was so glad turbo 'seemed' ok !

[editied to say I never boost from cold & always keep below 2k rpm until temps come up & only then, as most of you do, wait a bit for oil temp to catch up. will be better once gauges are in!]

Steve

[Edited by ScoobyDuck - 10/24/2002 8:37:15 AM]
Old 26 October 2002, 11:59 AM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

Ive got exact same problem, with MY93 wrx, ive had a good look around ...ive put a rag under the area and cleaned around there,
and theres definately oil droplets on the heatshield ... hard part now is trying to trace where the origin of the leak is ...

is the heatshield easy to remove?

if it is a cover thats weeping, is there an easy cure or should i look at a bank loan?

Trending Topics

Old 26 October 2002, 12:39 PM
Sieze
Scooby Regular

I had same. The leak was from the underside of the rocker cover and dripping on the exhaust. All it needs is a new gasket (1-2 hrs labour I think).
Old 27 October 2002, 11:56 AM
imprezapm
Scooby Regular

Had same problem twice on 94 wagon.
1st time was crankshaft oil seal - expensive (5+ hours).
2nd time was offside rocker cover gasket - cheap (1-2 hours).
Always gets warmed up & cooled off properly so I just put it down to general wear after 110,000 miles.
Old 28 October 2002, 01:28 PM
highlander
Scooby Regular

Sounds very similar to what I experience on my MY94 WRX.

I have identified that the leak is from the oil return pipe from the turbo. The problem is worse if the oil is high on the dipstick ie close to the top mark - running with the oil halfway between the mrks improves it. I am guessing that this is because the oil pressure is then slightly lower.

The oil drips onto the exhaust and therefore gives you the burnt oil smell.

It loses a very small amount of oil this way.
Old 28 October 2002, 05:02 PM
joni
Scooby Regular

Highlander, Very interesting...I have an MY00 which had "the smell" from new. The oil was high on the dipstick and was mentioned at the first service as was "the smell". All oil leaks were ruled out after examination which left a mystery. After the service, "the smell" disappeared and has not returned since....I think I had your problem.
joni