Notices

What's the point? of a warranty when..............

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2002, 09:04 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

This happens:

1) A friend has a MY01 the near side bearing is knackered. 4 weeks ago, he takes it to a garage, enquires about a warranty claim, gets told that the bearing is a consumable item and therefore NOT covered (Car has done 22,000 miles. I called told 'em that i thought they were talking 5hite and they relented. Mind you 4 weeks on and he is still waiting
2) My car started having what felt like syncro problems, i took it to TSL, they tried it and said it's ok (or rather it's nothing to worry about) I took it to the dealers and said can you do something with this, it's not broken but it feels like something is gonna break. Prevention is better than cure and all that. Took it for a test drive and AGAIN the mechanic says, there's nothing wrong, even though he can hardly keep his hand on the gear stick in third I said, when it breaks, will it be covered by warranty [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Dunno sir came the reply, it's done 36,000 miles
3) I told 'em about the clutch judder, they tittered and said that they would try for me and then didn't even take my reg no.

The car has been looked after, not tracked, and in both instances, the dealer was implying that my warranty was void because of the mileage for a 18 month old car. What's the point of me religiously servicing the thing to try and keep the warranty intact if all they are gonna say is " well it has done 35,000 + miles

Ba5tards [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Mikey

[Edited by Gridlock Mikey - 10/22/2002 9:05:03 AM]
Old 22 October 2002, 09:48 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see the warranty for the last of the fuglies specifically excludes problems with the clutch plate for some strange reason.

By the time you have replaced the juddering clutch on this a couple of times within 3 yrs/ 60,000 miles then the so called £2500 "saving" will start to look a little pathetic as you've forked out nearly £2 grand to get it fixed.
What a con :grr:
Old 22 October 2002, 10:01 AM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Angry

I've got problems selecting first and reverse gears sometimes and regularly get clutch judder in the mornings on my P1. Had the first year service on friday and they said it's a new clutch sir, it just's needs bedding in!!!

And I asked them to do something about it on warranty and they fobbed me off. Lets face it, Subaru warranties are a joke and the dealers just dont want anything to do with it.
Old 22 October 2002, 10:05 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Cool

Who are you dealing with? Report them to Subaru UK. The car is still within warranty right? Did it come from abroad?

Nobbers. Consumables are exactly that, stuff like oil, petrol, water, tyres and brakes. ie. things you expect to wear out or use up regularly. No sane person expects a wheel bearing to need replacing every twelve months or every week. WTF are they talking about? They get paid for warranty work, it doesn't come out of their pocket and so far as I know there is no cash alternative as an incentive to knock back warranty work.

Your friend wouldn't be a woman who they assume will just accept it and go away by any chance? If they have been waiting a month, they should be kicking up a proper (but polite) stink by now. What if the wheel drops off? It is a safety hazard for God's sake, MAKE them fix it, they are obliged to do so under the terms they sold the car. If they **** you about, go to the citizens advice and see a solicitor.
Old 22 October 2002, 12:04 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just recieved a call from the said dealer,

"OK we'll do it under warranty"

I asked if they read scoobynet and guess what

Power to the bbs and thanks for your comments

Just gonna call my mate to see if they have phoned him too

Mikey
Old 22 October 2002, 12:27 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mmmm bad experiences there. In my case Im glad my my99 had extended warranty included in the price when i bought it from a dealer. The MAF failed which cost £300 to replace. The warranty was £180 (included in the total price) so its paid for itself already
Old 22 October 2002, 12:36 PM
R.B
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just get the P1 mate Leave them problems behind you