Notices

Power Steering problem MY02 STi7

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2002, 08:38 AM
adair69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably the wrong forum but....

Approaching an island last night I braked as usual, but the steering suddenly became heavy as if the power steering had lost all pressure. Until I set off again the steering was almost dead in my hands.
Having got home I noticed that when turning the steering stationary, with the engine idling the revs were dropping every time I turned. It also sounded a lot louder than I had heard the pump operating before. The fluid is spot on, the island doesn't have a camber I'm not used to, and there has been no idle problems with the engine at all.
Of course having got in this morning although nothing as extreme has happened I'm obviously either paranoid now or my intuition is that it isn't quite feeling the same, that could be subjective rather than objective however.
Anyone had the same problem or got any ideas, I'm about to put some big booties on, and if this could be an ongoing problem I'd rather sort it before they have the excuse that its larger tyres.

Thanks In Advance
Old 09 October 2002, 09:02 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

The symptoms you describe sound just like those that happened to a friend of mine just before his PS belt snapped. How many miles has the car done? (It shouldn't have done enough as it must be fairly new?)

Matt.
Old 09 October 2002, 09:10 AM
adair69
Scooby Regular

mmmm The car has just over 4k on it now, and I agree I can't imagine there being enough miles on it for this to happen. However it is pointing me in the direction of there being a problem which is likely to get worse rather than better. Was his a New shape or classic?
Old 09 October 2002, 09:27 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

98 Old shape