Notices

ITG Filter-bad for scoob??

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2002, 12:41 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

ZZZzzzzzzz... here we go AGAIN to those non-believers among you all.

To re-cap, MAF failure about 2 months ago on MY99 after ITG panel filter fitted over last 10K miles.

Dealer suggested I lose the ITG panel filter as they were seeing increaed number of my99 (only) MAF failures due to these.

'Bollox' I arrogantly said, everyone on scoobynet says they are safe...!!!

Last weekend, the irregular idle rears it's ugly face again combined with general crap running. Mmmmmm!
So I decide to clean the MAF sensor. What do I find. The whole thing (along with the inside of the Air filter housing) covered with the green gunk from the ITG panel filter, and YES I had wiped the excess gunk away prior to original fitting and YES it was fitted correctly.

And people still say they don't contaminate the MAF...... Oh dear,oh dear...

PS FOR SALE ---- One used (10k miles) ITG panel filter....£10 to anyone who is still stupid enough to fit this to an MY99.

[Edited by SiPie - 10/7/2002 12:42:09 PM]
Old 10 August 2002, 12:52 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Red face

Scoobyjawa...

So please explain the green gunk (clearly from the ITG filter) that was all over the MAF sensor then?

The bottom line is that agree with you 100% that these MAFS are sensitive on MY99s (possibly CRAP for want of a better word) but I feel it's very dangerous and potentially very costly going around saying these are safe just because you haven't had any problems (so far) with yours.

All I say is tread with caution and if in any doubt then stick to standard.

Cheers

[Edited by SiPie - 10/8/2002 12:55:30 PM]
Old 10 August 2002, 11:35 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

Been reading these ITG posts and thought I would check mine out.

Yes there was a very small amount of goo in the bottom corner of the airbox, but not on the engine side of the filter. The filter itself had the sticky stuff on the "air in" side as it should do to help it do its job, but was 100% clear on the engine side, in fact it looked almost new. I check the MAF and pipework etc and NO signs of contamination at all!

I am 100% happy with my ITG filter and will continue to use it.

For the record, the filter was fitted 6months ago and has covered just over 12000 trouble free miles including track days.

The goo in the airbox

NO goo here

Pipework clear

Engine Side of ITG CLEAR

Air in / Goo side of ITG collecting all the cr@p

Gave it a quick wipe then re fitted it.

BOB

(MY 02 WRX)

[Edited by WRXBOB - 10/8/2002 11:54:16 PM]
Old 07 October 2002, 12:00 PM
PELHAM
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Over the past few days, I have read a number of threads that suggest that the ITG panel filter may have a detrimental effect to the engines MAF sensor and perhaps even to the engine.

I fitted an ITG to my Sti7 a couple of months ago - should I refit the orignal??

What's going on????
Old 07 October 2002, 12:06 PM
ice man
Scooby Regular

Strange, I have heard of induction kits causing MAF failure but not panel filters.
IMHO I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07 October 2002, 12:09 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

There are certain technical issues that have been raised about replacement filters, but there does seem to be two conflicting sides to these arguments.

All I know for sure is that at least two dealers I talk to regularly are taking the view that if there is a MAF failure on a car with anything other than the original filter they will not replace it under warranty.

Josh
Old 07 October 2002, 12:18 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

I have had MAF / AMS failure using a panel filter (Not ITG but similar spec) on my last (year old) Audi. This was also one that was supposed to be about the safest around.

For this reason, I left the filter alone on my current Impreza. Hundreds of people have no problems but for me the risks outweight the benefit in the bigger scheme of things.
Old 07 October 2002, 12:24 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Talking

40,000miles on two ITG panel filters (change at 30,000miles), no trouble.

Crappy Dealers only say that to avoid paying out [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07 October 2002, 12:29 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

MRK - what year is your car ?
Old 07 October 2002, 12:30 PM
ice man
Scooby Regular

I have run ITG filters on my scoob and now have an induction kit and haven't had any problems.
I can't see a panel filter causing you problems, most of the guys on scoobynet have breathing mods on their cars and don't have issues.
If it did cause you a problem, then just plonk the old one back in and call the dealer. All covered by warranty then
Old 07 October 2002, 01:11 PM
blf21
Scooby Regular

Question

Do the same doubts hold true for fitting an ITG to a MY99 Sport?

Ben
Old 07 October 2002, 01:40 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

what about an my00 UK turbo. i was thinking of the ITG.

How different are the 00 to the 99?
Old 07 October 2002, 01:52 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Smile

Sorry guys, can't comment on either the sport or MY00 but I do know that the MAF on the MY99 is supposedly very sensitive.

Point 2 being that whether or not the MAF on either car reacts in anyway to contamination then there was enough green gunk covering the sensor to cause problems no matter how sensitive.

Hopefully someone else will be better informed to shine some light on the sport/my00 as I can only go by the probs the ITG caused on my car.

Cheers
Old 07 October 2002, 01:59 PM
ice man
Scooby Regular

My car is an MY00 and I haven't had any issues using ITG's or induction kits. That doesn't mean that if you put one on yours you wouldn't.
As for Sports I can only comment on MY00. No issues had but as I said above that doesn't mean you won't have any.
Old 07 October 2002, 05:13 PM
Bexlee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

MY01: I've had MAF failure due to ITG panel. Dealer replaced the sensor & said to stick to paper OE which I have.

I posted on here a while back about it all but the only responses I got was along the lines it can't be ITG- must be something else etc.
Old 07 October 2002, 08:05 PM
scoobypig
Scooby Regular

VERY interesting
I just took out my ITG MY02 PPP. Put the paper one back in for the first service, took ages to clean the green goo out of the box.
Do you know what? My car goes better and smoother.
I only bought one 'cos ot the hype. Won't be going back in...
Old 07 October 2002, 10:37 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

I've had one in my MY00 for 2 years with no problems.
Old 07 October 2002, 11:59 PM
scoobyboy/p1
Scooby Regular

iv just posted the same question just about. from the replys iv got im takin mine out asap. its just not worth it. if it made loads of differents 2 the performace mayb id keep it in & risk it. but it doesnt really make a differents so out it ****. id say do the same m8.
Old 08 October 2002, 11:22 AM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

cheers guys - saved me a few quids. clear indicators instead then
Old 08 October 2002, 12:16 PM
mrkimpreza
Scooby Regular

Probably due to an K&N 57i induction kit I blew my MAF sensor which again blew my engine / piston.

MAF sensor was reading to low, engine running to lean, knock occurred @7000rpm in 4th gear, hole in piston. EUR 5k bill.

No other filter for me anymore.

(PS:
- Engine was replaced with faulty MAF-sensor. I (not the dealer) insisted on making two DeltaDash runs. One with my old sensor and a brand new one. Difference was obvious.
- It is a MY99 with catless downpipe and Prodrive Performance Package. It has 77k km on its clock when it blew the engine, about 50kkm with the K&N filter)

Mark.
Old 08 October 2002, 12:27 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I've run both ITG and K&N on my MY99 with no issues.

Bear in mind these MAF's aren't the best anyway and there have been a heck load of failures even with FACTORY induction still in place including the filter. IMHO, there is no more risk buggering your MAF than there is by carrying on using the factory set up.........
Old 08 October 2002, 12:28 PM
darkblueturbo
Scooby Regular

the difference is with the factory equipment on you get it all sorted under warrenty.
Old 08 October 2002, 01:30 PM
N1 SPAN
Scooby Regular

All this talk is about the ITG, what about K&N. I'm running their panel filter on MY99. Slightly concerned after reading this thread now!!!!
Old 08 October 2002, 01:33 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I'm running a full-decat, TEK3, dawes and warp drive and the car is fast enough and sounds good enough to me. A panel filter wouldn't make that much of a difference to the sound/performance so I chose not to risk messing around with K&N's, ITG's, etc. Save yourselves £30 and have the piece of mind that if your MAF goes it was going to go anyway!
Old 08 October 2002, 01:37 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Green gunk from ITG on the MAF?! Have you touched this stuff? It's like treacle....unless they've changed it recently.

I ran 2 cars on ITG - 50k km's from first, 80k from 2nd. No problems. Induction kit recently killed my MAF in less than 7k km's though (vibration related)

Seriously, the only way I can imagine green stuff getting onto MAF from ITG is if water was also flowing through the filter. Sure, a new one sometimes drips a bit over the 1st month or two - but gravity sends it downwards to the dirty side of the airbox. The type of extended airflow required to drag it into the MAF seems unlikely if the gunk consistency is as before....

I've a new ITG to fit once I've finished playing with the induction kit.

Richard
Old 08 October 2002, 01:59 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Have people with MAF failures and panel filters been running with the resonator removed or not? Maybe it is a water ingress issue as dowser has suggested.

I have MY00+ITG but still have the resonator in.
Old 08 October 2002, 03:56 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Resonator still in, only mod was a back box..... any more questions from the non-believers???
Old 08 October 2002, 06:19 PM
lizzard
Scooby Regular

Angry

I have a MY00 Impreza WRX (U.K Version)with a Dawes and ITG filter as the only mods.

The car is going to the dealer tomorrow as I am having idling problems with it. It idles up and down +/- 200 RPM, and if reved in neutral it wants to stall before stabilizing at 800 +/- 200 RPM.

The Autometer AFR shows the fuel ratio as it was before the idling problem, and the car runs perfectly except for the idle issue.

For this reason I tend to think that it is more likely the O2 sensor rather than the MAF sensor.

I will check the filter and box to see if there is any "green gunk" as has been reported on this site by many people.

Does this seem to make sense to anyone out there?
Old 08 October 2002, 10:52 PM
Jaay
Scooby Regular

It seems that everyone with a ITG/MAF problem have the later models, film Maf ??
Is there anyone with a Maf failure on the ealier cars, pin Maf?
Old 09 October 2002, 12:05 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

lizzard

Mine was doing EXACTLY the same and a new O2 sensor sorted it.

Cheers

Quick Reply: ITG Filter-bad for scoob??