Boost Solenoid WRX I know its been done to death

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2002, 10:07 PM
evocorse
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hi Everybody

I have recently bought a 93 WRX.It is not boosting correctly, only about .4 to .5 bar on its Blitz gauge.I did a search on scoobynet and followed all the advice.I have done all the usual: connect green terminals under dash, disconect pipes to solenoid,sprayed brake cleaner thru boost solenoid and turned ignition to activate the solenoid. I got an instant response with .7 bar on its first run. However, an hour later it was back down to .5 bar.

Any ideas? Sorry this may be a repeat of other threads but I suspect somebody out there has followed the same routine of solenoid cleaning and not solved the problem of a lack of boost.

Many thanks in anticipation

kevin

Old 08 October 2002, 06:32 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Are you sure boost gauge is working correctly? If so, disconnect hose from wastegate and carefully go for a drive - you have no boost control except your right foot on the throttle, if you've an FCD fitted then be *very* careful. If boost rises with WOT get off the gas at 1 bar pronto

Assuming you get boost, there's a problem with the solenoid hosing/operation.

If you still get no boost, check pipework from turbo to intercooler and i/c to throttle body (under i/c pipework is weak if still OE). If that checks out OK, maybe it's the wastegate stuck open? Without heatshield you should be able to check wastegate operation.

Good luck
Richard
Old 08 October 2002, 06:56 PM
redwrx
Scooby Regular

The problems ive been suffering with boost, were down to a faulty MAF sensor ....

I was only managing .7bar, tried cleaning the control solenoid, and yes it seemed to improve things...for about 10minutes, then back to as it was perviously, but i did notice when the soleniod had been cleaned my idle boost went up from -.6 to -.4bar.

Ive just bought a simple 'halfords' boost indicator and checked its calibration, and its ok...does the job!

hope this helps