Notices

Only one year's Paint Warranty - were you told?!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2002, 03:00 PM
JulesB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I have just found out that Subarus only have a 1 year paint warranty as standard!!!!!!!
I find this impossible to believe - but sadly true.
I have two real problems with this;

1. My dealer never told me when I bought the car, and has never told me at normal services that I had to pay for extra treatment to extend the paint warranty.

2. How the **** can Subaru get away with only including one year's paint warranty with a new car. We should not have to pay extra for a paint warranty.

I have experience in the motor trade and I believed that all main stream manufacturers included a minimum of 6 years anti-perforation warranty with a new car (given a FSH).

Is a one year paint warranty good enough for the Sale of Goods Act?

Anyone else not told about the cost of extending this warranty? Anyone else challenged Subaru that 1 year is not enough?

(I spoke to Customer Services who politely said tough ****, you should have read your handbook better!!)
Old 01 October 2002, 07:40 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jules,
You're only paying to extend in a roundabout way, they actually re-underseal the whole car, and are supposed to treat in the sills etc, that you can't see.
Old 02 October 2002, 01:57 PM
JulesB
Scooby Regular

Looks like most people like paying extra for their warranty!

Maybe I should stop ranting... but the fact is that every other manufacturer will give you this warranty for free, but with Subaru if you dont pay around £350 you dont get your 6 year warranty.

Ron, the cars should be built so that they don't require extra treatments to last 6 years, and if treatment is needed then that's a manufacturing fault and should be paid for by Subaru.

I guess folks who bought new were all told about this bit of daylight robbery by their dealers. My dealer failed to point it out at all three times when they should have done (new, 1year, 3years), that was Gilesgate in Hexham.
Old 02 October 2002, 02:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Ok,
everyone seems to have missed the point here....
Subaru offer a 6 year anti perforation warranty ok, now understand what anti perforation means and you will see that your car is actually covered for bodywork (ie the shell) but not for underseal.
Anti perforation means what it says, if the paintwork is perforated (ie stone chips) then its not covered, it covers from the inside out and no ammout of wax squirted into spaces will cure this problem as its sub surface.
It also states clearly in your maintenace manual about the body services, if you have them done then ok your chassis is covered, if not then its not covered, simple as that.

Tony
Old 02 October 2002, 04:30 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Bear in mind most grey imports have never seen this done as it isn't done in Japan - you don't see them rotting do you?
Old 02 October 2002, 05:31 PM
JulesB
Scooby Regular

Tony,
I have to say that Subaru will disagree!

If you don't pay for the extra treatments then ALL your paint warrnty stops at 1year. I have flaking paint under the bonnet (poor adhesion problem) and they won't even consider a claim because I didn't pay.