Notices

My new shape WRX on 20 a day?

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2002, 06:00 PM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I had a very strange thing happen today.

I'd been sitting with the car idling for about 10 minutes, waiting for a colleague. When we set off I noticed peals of blue/grey smoke behind the car, pulled over and confirmed that it was coming out of the exhaust. As I'd only filled up recently, I thought maybe I'd got a bit of diesel (although smoke was blue) from a contaminated pump, left it 30 seconds or so and sure enough it cleared, even when revved.

Set off again, about a mile down the road, more smoke, burning oil smell inside the car. I pulled over and noticed smoke coming from out of the scoop. Opened up the bonnet and saw the smoke rising from around the area of the shield at the top of the downpipe, but with the smoke coming out of the tailpipes I knew it wasn't just oil on the exhaust, so I got it towed to the dealer (They looked at it straight away ).

Their mechanic drove it and inspected it, no smoke, no leaks, no oil on the sump guards, so no ideas what could have caused it. I drove it back (about 40 miles) - it's been fine.

Has anyone come across anything similar, or got any ideas? What are the chances that oil got into the engine from outside, ie through the intake? Although I'd have thought it would have to be quite a lot for the amount of smoke generated.

It's a standard WRX, no mods, no PPP, 24,000 miles and just serviced at 20,000. Oil and transmission fluid check out OK.

Thanks for reading, and for any info.

Cheers,

Deano

Old 12 September 2002, 07:02 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

case for the X files.
Old 13 September 2002, 11:02 AM
SCOOBY JON
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

hi deano

i had the same thing happen on my my01,i kept pushing and got one of international motors engineers out, only to find out that the garage had over filled the oil at the last service and the car was trying to burn the oil off!
check your dipstick and make sure they haven't overfilled it!
because the extra oil can up the boost of your turbo and eventualy something will go wrong!

jon
Old 13 September 2002, 12:01 PM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Jon, I'll get that checked out.

I didn't push too much at the time, as I felt a bit of a wally, getting the car towed in and all.

Cheers,

Deano