Notices

UK STi 7 vs. Import STi 7???

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2002, 09:59 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ok... I am considering buying a STi 7 and I have a couple of questions...

1) Is there any difference in power between the Japanese and the UK spec STi (assume both on UK fuel)? The new UK STi is quoted at 265ps which is less than the classic WRX right? (and it appears ~0.5 secs slower 0-60 on paper)

2) How much power will the PPP give and can it be fitted to both UK and import? Will the power gains be the same UK vs. import?

3) Ultimately how tuneable is the new STi 7 compared to the classic WRX given that it appears to start off with less power in the first place?

sorry for all the questions at once!
Old 11 September 2002, 12:01 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I can answer the PPP question for you
The PPP will only be available to UK and EU sourced STi's, its not available to JDM cars as these are not to european spec.
There are tuning kits out there for both UK and JDM cars at the moment, the problem with a JDM car is that you will need to run it on super unleaded or optimax and octane booster will also help (best to run both types of car on these fuels though).
UK and EU cars will be covered by a 3 year warranty, the UK car will have a better warranty than its EU equivelant after the first year though. (resale value is also better on a uk sourced car BTW )

Tony
Old 11 September 2002, 01:56 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

I know a bloke with a Jap Spec STi7, and it is supposed to have 300 bhp standard, he loves it.
I have a Euro spec Sti7, which was originally imported by Litchfield Imports and modified to 310 ish bhp, and has Eibach suspension. It also has the same rear spoiler as the Prodrive car.

Litchfield will get you a non Prodrive Uk spec (Euro) car with a Cobra Thatcham 1 alarm plus RAC Tracker for about £23.5k. Add the kit mine has costs about another £2k.

I have 3 years waaranty, 1 year Subaru plus 2 years "Warranty Holdings".
Old 11 September 2002, 02:03 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Thanks clubby, do they have a web site?
Old 11 September 2002, 02:22 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

Yes they do

http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/#

The man himself Iain Litchfield answers the phone. He gives excellent service, even to me and I didnt buy the car from him.

Old 12 September 2002, 04:37 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies guys

clubby: did you say your car was modified by Litchfield as well as imported?
Old 12 September 2002, 05:02 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

ajm

Yes, it's got a Dawes Device, Unichip, full decat, Magnex freeflow exhaust, K&N panel filter, Eibach suspension, uprated rear anti roll bar, higher rear spoiler, Toyo Proxes all round. I have never dyno'd it, but its meant to put out about 320bhp.

It pulls like nothing i've ever driven before. So quick between the gears you have to watch you don't over rev it.
Old 13 September 2002, 08:38 AM
adair69
Scooby Regular

ajm

Sorry to come in late, but if you shop around at the moment you can get a UK dealer STi for around 24k. I know because for the sake of £500 I went for a UK rather than a euro import at £23750. There aren't many left though, and you won't get a Prodrive version for this, as most are gone I believe. But if its the STi7 UK you want, I would be looking for a saving of around 3-4k on UK price if you want to balance the risk factor. There was a post on scoobynet for a Sti7 Prodrive less than 4k on the clock and being sold for £19995!!! Not bad if you think that its been run in for you. Anyway Good luck!!
Old 13 September 2002, 10:15 AM
clubby
Scooby Regular

It is definetly a personal choice ie: whats right for me may not be right for anyone else but:

Why pay the extra money for a UK model?

I have the same car c/w, Thatcham 1 alarm/immob and RAC Trackstar.

I have 3 years warranty, albeit not all through IM/Subaru.

I don't have to pay the £58/hour plus VAT for servicing at the only Subaru dealer within 60 miles. My warranty allows me to service and repair the car at other garages, they just have to be VAT registered. I might not mind the high hourly rate, if the service was good, but it is very poor.

That was one of the main reasons I went for an import, to get away from the dealer, but still stay in a newish Subaru.

The other thing for me was the mods. I had to buy an already modified car, as there is no way my better half would accept paying £20k plus for a car, and then splashing out hundreds every month to get it the way I wanted it. The upgraded parts are also covered by the warranty, but consequential damage isnt.

I paid about £23k, for a slightly used STi7 thats faster than a standard Uk one, okay my residual value will be lower, but it should be cos I paid out less initially.

It has worked for me, and I was very sceptical about owning an import. Only problem I have now is if I get a warning light on I have to go to the dealers, no-one other than the dealers within 100 miles has Delta Dash or any equipment that can read/analyse fault codes. I can get round that I think.
Old 13 September 2002, 10:29 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Ah, the warranty question
You may find that you HAVE to have the car serviced at a Subaru dealer whilst its under the SUBARU warranty otherwise you totally invalidate your subaru warranty and claims there after
You buy the car and cannot afford the servicing, thats not Subaru's problem but if your engine blows and your book does not have an authorised subaru stamp in there (and the claim will be taken though Subaru UK BTW) then your going to have a hefty bill to pay (as some other warranty companies will only cover 3-4k's worth were as an engine rebuild being outside said costs wont be covered and you will have to pay the full price )

Tony
Old 13 September 2002, 12:07 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

Tony

You miss my point about the servicing costs, I can easily afford the £120ish for minor and £400ish for major services, no problem there.

It's more a case of I dont trust them. You put the car in to get CLUTCH judder looked at, it comes back - they call me up and say "your car has no BRAKE judder". Fine, we all make mistakes, but the front wheels werent even removed whilst it was away (essential if checking out the brakes).

I put the car in to get the brakes checked as they were grinding, they put it back on the road with the discs cracked (it was on the invoice), told me everything was fine, then I read the printed invoice a week later - I had been driving around with cracked discs for a week.

I had a recurring fault "temperature sensor", 4 times the car went in, 4 times it comes back with the sensor replaced. The fifth time, when the car actually wouldnt start anymore, I took it back and they were about to replace the sensor for the fifth time - I said hold on, either you have duff batch of sensors, or something else is causing this. After huffing and puffing and pure disbelief at my comments, "4 times, impossible" - they checked oh "yes, you are correct sir". Then they drained the cooling system, removing an air lock in the process, refilled it and problem solved.

These are just two of the problems I had. I have a list of 15 points regarding quality of service which I wasnt happy with.

Now I will not pay £58/hour plus VAT for that level of service - would you? It is not value for money. I work in the oil industry and if I couldnt afford to run a Subaru I wouldnt.

I am on my fourth Impreza now, so I do know what they cost to run.

If the dealers were as good as the cars, then I'd be using them and buying a UK car. They are not, so I wont.

[Edited by clubby - 9/13/2002 12:10:16 PM]