Notices

Any ideas on what to look for when buying a 96 Impreza ?

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2002, 12:14 PM
Gidders
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Guys, I am going to look at a 1996 Impreza turbo tomorrow and I was wondering if any one had any suggestions on what to look out for Mechanically ?? I am not to fused about the interior as I will change this and possibly respray the body work. I will check the general stuff brakes/shocks/oli leaks etc. Are there specific things I should be looking for on a 96 turbo ?

Any help will be a life saver and possibly a money saver !!!
Old 29 August 2002, 12:29 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nothing specific springs to mind.. how many miles has it done?

Obviously full service history is going to be a good place to start.. check it has been done on miles or time which ever was sooner.. cambelts it 45000miles.. expensive services are the 45 and 60k services I think.. so if about to need one or the other expect 400 to 600 depending of where you get it done.

Oil leaks seem to occur from the left hand side and right hand side of the engine, above the coil packs (and plugs).

Power steering sometimes leaks.. mine has just started.

unusual checks of no oil in water and water in the oil...

Brake pads are expensive so if low don't just think you can get a set for 30quid.. cos from Subaru the fronts are 120 I think..
EBC's are about 50.. discs take a bit of hammering too as the 2pot brakes are not really upto the job.

If you are that worried then get an inspection done by the RAC/AA or have the owner take it to a local Subaru dealer for a health check..

Body services always seem to not get done.. although the cars don't seem to rust or anything but you could try using it as an excuse for money off.. I think they are 1year/3year and 5year services for the body warrentee.. it is in the service book.

Goodluck, if it is no good then check out ones in the for sale forum.. always good to buy one from an enfusiast, more likely to have been looked after

JGM

Old 29 August 2002, 01:55 PM
Gidders
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Cheers for the reply,
Its done 80k full service history. Two owners, but the guy is off to work abroad, he is a mate of a mate and only wants 5k for a quick sale, all others I have seen simular age/miles etc are going for £ 6500/7000. Thats the only reason I am interested as, I would go for a 97 P/R because of the bucker seats and more modern grill. If it has a slight leak comming from the coils is this a major issue ? How long does the oil seal on the turbos last, or should I say how long do the turbos last ? I guess it depends on how hard you have driven the car.

Cheers again

Elliot
Old 29 August 2002, 02:13 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 96 car has a larger turbo, so more lag, but also more power potential. You could get 320hp on the 96 turbo and about 280 with the newer one as a very rough guide. Both turbo's should last well, and both are rebuildable for about £200 with new seals, bearings etc.

earlier cars tend to have stronger engines, but will come with more mileage, your choice....

leaking struts is bad news, but you can pick up a set second hand for about £150.

Older ecus are being remapped just now by myself and a few others, new ones are still the preserve of tuning companies (for now).

Older cars have a pressure sensor that tops out at 17.5 psi, making high boost mapping more difficult, i bought a new sensor to use with the remapped ecu I'm doing.

Older cars have cr@p brakes, think you have to wait till late '98 for the better 4 pot calipers and larger discs. But a set of said brakes can be had in good nick s/h for £300, as new for about £350.

good luck

P
Old 29 August 2002, 02:17 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

80K miles is not too much of a problem, depending on how many you intend doing.. mine has done 106,000miles.. no major problems..

I have oil leaks above the coils and it causes no problems I just keep an eye on it,, it is more of a stain than leaks as it leaks so little..

The crank seals (one on the front of the engine behind the crank pulley wheel and one near the clutch on the back of the engines)
are worth investigating.. my front crank seal lasted to 100k miles and others have reported similar things.. so when you get to 90k get the front crank seal changed with the cambelt as the cambelt has to be replaced when/if the seal goes and it is really cheap to do during the cambelt change and not on its own etc..

As to Turbo, it has a TD05 turbo with is damn solid and people have run upto 300bhp on it.. and more still with modification..
Nice turbo.. larger than the VF series fitted to the newer cars 97 on..

The interior is a straight swap and you should get a decent one for about 400quid roughly I think..

Front grill is not quite as straight forward.. bonnet, lights and grill are all slightly different and they can be fitted but the intercooler is also mounts straight rather than at an angle..
The job can be done it is just not straight swap.. but you could just get a new grill for the 96 etc..

I'd go for it.... I bought my 96 UK Wagon in Jan 2001 for 8300..and it was a bargain then.
sickenning to think what it is worth now..

JGM
Old 29 August 2002, 02:35 PM
Gidders
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Cheers for all you help guys, it is totally standard 15 inch rims !!! etc but I am looking to clour code it chip it and stick a 3 inch back box on it. Does anyone know where I can get a new style grill for it without having to replace lights, bonet etc ? I've been to plenty of scooby mod sites, but they seem to ignore the older style fronts for replacements ?
Old 29 August 2002, 02:42 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yes I have two set of those 'orrible 15inch rims in my garage and a set of 17s on the car now..

Have you tried the banner ads at the top of the pages on Scoobynet?

Off the top of my head try:
GGR, Scoobysport, Scoobymania, TSL.. or you could just by some metal grill and make your own..

Or put a separate post on and someone will help I am sure..

You can change the badge to a diff colour which helps and is easy enough to do (pull off sand paper off the paint and paint diff colour, the indented silver remains untouched etc..)

JGM