Notices

spark plug removal

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2002, 04:25 PM
Impret-Sir
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How, oh How do you remove the spark plugs from a boxer engine? Does half the other bits in the engine bay need to come out first?
Acsess to the plugs is impossible! Also, after removing the battery I got to the offside front one, to discover it is recessed into the head, so do I need a special socket too?
Old 24 August 2002, 05:17 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Wink

I think you only need to take the washer bottle off (screw/bolt at top of tank) and the air filter box on the other side..

Dan
Old 24 August 2002, 05:20 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Halfords spark plug tool and a small extension will do fine. You don't need to remove the battery. You don't need to disconnect any hoses from the washer bottle, just release the two top bolts and lift it. On the other side get the airbox/MAF out up to the accordion bit.
Old 24 August 2002, 11:31 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Don't expect to be able to see the plugs when fitted! The plugs are recessed by about 2 inches, and can only just be touched by finger tip. It's a bit like scrabbling around in the dark, but be persistant - you will do it in the end!!
At best, changing the plugs is awkward - it's all a bit fiddly, but a standard spark plug socket and a short extension should be all you need. As above, remove the washer bottle on one side (just remove top two screws and rest on the inlet manifold out the way). The other side requires the removal of the inlet filter box.
The most difficult plug to access is the one closest to the trubo - so try that one last when you've got the hang of things!!
Old 24 August 2002, 11:49 PM
Jaay
Scooby Regular

I would advise using the long spark plug socket along with a 'short' extension on the ratchet. Put the socket onto the extension but not onto the ratchet and feed the socket in. Then attach the ratchet to the extension, use the ratchet to get the initial tightness off but if you try to use it all the way you will find the rachet hard up against the side wall, so once the inital tightness is off take the rachet off and turn the extention with your fingers. Do in reverse to put back once you done the first one its simple. Should take an hour. Although when I first did it, and it was the first plug I found it difficult to get the socket in. When I put my fingers in for a feel there seemed to be some rubber lodged right in there, it wasnt until I pulled another Lead from a plug that I realised that the rubber that was supposed to be on the end of the lead was stuck to the plug inside the engine. That part took the longest, but in my experience with cars nothing ever goes as it is supposed to. The alternative is to ***** out and throw your money at the dealer but you can always do that once yourve tried and f<(ked it up.
Good luck