Notices

Pulled over on the way to work

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2002, 09:43 AM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just had my best ever experience of Police Stupidity.
Driving to work on the M50 in Dublin in a line of cars waiting for someone to get out of the way to speed up. Front car moves over (I'm 4 back) and we all start to spped up.
I glance in th rearview and spot a police bike so I get to 70 and hold it there. The rest of the line tears off into the distance.

I plod along with him behind me moving between lanes for another 2 miles then he speeds up so I move left to get out of his way. Siren goes on and he waves me in.

I then got a 10 minute lecture on how I should have been in the left lane as the right lane is the overtaking lane and he watch me for 2 miles in the wrong lane. I then get a ticket for no tax (which he didn't see before he pulled me over).

What the f*ck??????

It wasn't him victimising me because of the Subaru as when he was writing the ticket he asked was it a lexus?

You have to love it
Old 24 July 2002, 12:37 PM
scooby-si
Scooby Regular

Location: 2005 sso, 1/4 finals,3rd in 60ft; 2004 sso,semi finals,2nd in 60ft time; 2003 standard car 2nd 60ft
Lo m8
I think its called

thick as PIG sh-t

[Edited by scooby-si - 7/24/2002 12:37:55 PM]
Old 24 July 2002, 05:36 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

You should have said it was a Lexus, it would have looked good on the ticket. No matter where they are, they are all scumbags, plain and simple. North/South, Mainland, Europe, Im sure they are all the same. You cant live with em........
Old 24 July 2002, 06:16 PM
kungfu
Scooby Regular

a good toe up the **** is wot they need....pulled me over 3 times within 1 hour last week while sailing up and down the prom, one time was for driving too slow WTF !!
Old 24 July 2002, 06:24 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Maybe being a jobs worth but if the fact is u were without tax then u were asking 4 trubble & i shuda fort u wooda got away with hogging a lane but for that
(sympathetic)Si
Old 25 July 2002, 08:47 AM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

It isn't possible to see tax from behind here so he had no idea about that. He discovered that on his little harrassment trot around the car. The point is he pulled me over for something that isn't against the law or even the rules of the road.

The biggest frustration was that as I knew I didn't have tax I wasn't able to give any lip in the hope that he'd just **** off.

As of 11am this morning I will have it. I also have his name and number so I can phone and give him the lip I wanted to. I checked the rules of the raod and with the local cop shop where I had to produce my license and insurance and I did nothing wrong whatsoever and he had no business stopping me.

I'll feel better after a little rant
Old 25 July 2002, 01:02 PM
puppypower
Scooby Regular

POlice officers are allowed to stop any vehicle merely to check that the drive has documents.

sec 163 of the Road traffic Act

Basically you aint got a leg to stand on, if you harrass him trake it from me you will get three times back.

Old 25 July 2002, 03:30 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Smile

Question:would you have bought the car tax if you hadn't been stopped?
Just playing devils advocate.
Old 25 July 2002, 03:59 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Using correct lane discipline will give the police less cause to pull you over. It also helps you to spot anyone who is matching your speed, which could be useful too.
Old 25 July 2002, 05:44 PM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

Ok. There's a few to answer.
He didn't stop me to check documents. He stopped me to lecture me on driving in the right hand lane.

I would have bought the tax 2 weeks ago but for the fact that my car was rear ended in my office carpark (hit and run) and I had to pay to have it repaired. I then got a punture the next day and it cost me euro228 to replace the tyre so the moola was running low and I decided to put it off until next week so that it would be on next months bill.

I've been through all the rules of the road docs here and spoken to a police man at my local station (produced documents) and there is no mention of driving in the left lane only. I was travelling faster than the traffic in the left (bang on 70 on the clock) although the traffic was spaced out widely. There was no traffic behind me for at least a mile so I wasn't preventing anyone from tear arsing down the motorway . According to the police man I spoke to the man was having a power trip.
In my view (and apparently the view of whoever wrote the rules of the road over here) there is no point in driving in the left lane for no better reason than to please a tosser on a motorbike.

He spent the whole time moving from left to right to overtake the same traffic I was overtaking from where I was. As soon as he speeded up and moved into the right hand lane I indicated and moved into the left to let him through. I followed the procedure (even though he was now exceeding the speed limit) and it was only then that he stuck on the siren (for the hot pursuit) and pulled me over.

Little else to be doing with his time as far as I'm concerned. I can understand how annoying it is to try to drive at 70 on a motorway only to have a slow driver plodding along at 55 in front of you for no good reason which happens constantly (and was in this case at the start of the whole episode remember, I was in a line behind a toss like that) but I wasn't blocking anyone and as soon as it appeared I might block him I immediately moved over.
Old 25 July 2002, 07:33 PM
puppypower
Scooby Regular

Your remark was that he had no reason to stop you, well I was pointing out that he did, by law.

You ain't going to win the battle against the law. It is the most moronic and stupid thing to say "Hate the Wan4er police" not you but another person did. You had one bad experience but lets face it you weren't pulled over a bonnet and beaten black and blue. Anything that stops your day to day business is annoying, just get over it and forget it. Next time you get stopped the copper may be pleasant. At the end of the day there's no excuse for no tax, accident or whatever, it piss45 me off everytime I get the DVLC thing come through the post, but I do it, like most people.

Have a nice life and cheer up

PP
Old 25 July 2002, 11:23 PM
SteveB
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It would appear to me you were hogging the outside lane which is both inconsiderate and brings you to the attention of plod.

Come on, admit it, you were in the wrong. I hate the dick heads that stick in the middle lane while the inside is clear.

And driving with no tax ! well, you get what you deserve. Sorry mho

Steve.
Old 26 July 2002, 04:13 PM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

Nice level opinion there steve. I don't know what it's like there but I wasn't avoiding paying my tax. There is no avoiding here. You pay it all regardless including all the arrears me paying it 2 weeks late doesn't affect anyone elses car tax.

Unfortunately I'm obviously not as flush with cash as you or I would have bought it. Course I could have just driven on the space saver for 2 weeks instead of getting a tyre. That'd be safe and sensible order to do it in.

There is no middle lane on the motorway here (chance'd be a fine thing) and there was noone behind me. Another point is I was donig 70mph. Isn't that the speed limit. I hate those dic*heads that think they're such good drivers that speed limits don't apply to them

If I'm going to be slowing someone down that's coming up behind me I get out of the way before they get to me regardless of what speed I'm going. If I'm moving faster than traffic in the inside lane regardless of how light it is and I'm not blocking and or slowing anyone I see no reason to move over between each car I pass. (nor does the rules of the road book here)

To quote your own Highway Code (thanks Banshi) If you are overtaking a number of slower moving vehicles it may be safer to remain in the centre or outer lanes until the manoeuvre is completed rather than continually changing lanes"

Ourse doesn't even bother getting into it but that's yours so maybe you should study it more course you'll be driving too fast so you won't have time.
Old 26 July 2002, 04:18 PM
TBMeech
Scooby Regular

Location: Surrey Somewhere, From 341 bhp '99 STI V to '98 Merc CLK & '00 Peugeot 306 XSI to '01 E46 M3 :)
Edited:

Doh just read the post above which kinda screws up me argument, i'll leave now

I dunno some people lol!

[Edited by TBMeech - 7/26/2002 4:19:59 PM]
Old 26 July 2002, 04:18 PM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

P.S.
Whats this DVL thingy you get in the post?
Old 26 July 2002, 04:35 PM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

Just one for Steve:
"No tax you get what you deserve"

At no time in this whole discussion did I pass any critism for him ticketing me for no tax even ignoring the fact that there was never any intention of trying to dodge paying it.

But you think we should get what we deserve so I sincerely hope that you tear **** up behind an unmarked car with you middle lane speeding and lose your license "like you deserve".

Note the nice smile at the end of all this by the way. This comes from having a nice positive outlook on dealing with fellow Scooby drivers or people in general.

Some posts were saying I was in the wrong etc etc. That's what opinions are for and that's the way to put them across. This is the first bit of yobo posting I've seen on any of these boards. You need to lighten up. I wouldn't mind if you were a police man and I had posted slating all policemen and their families but all I said was that it was a pointless waste of time reason to stop me in the first place and he was on a power trip (might not even have said that, I can't remember).
Old 26 July 2002, 06:08 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

All they have to do is radio through the registration, and they will soon know if it is taxed or not ( although the computer doesnt seem to be updated very often ) I have had reason to call the police on a few occations, re attempted break ins, thefts etc..After each time I come to the same conclusion...Why the hell did I bother. It only caused me hassle. It is unfortunate for me to say, that I have never had a pleasant experience with the police, they have never 'solved' any crimes I have reported, they have never retrieved any stolen property, caught those vandalising my/friends property.
No, offence, but it almost sounds like you are a cop, puppypower. Maybe the police do genuinely believe, that they are trying to do good, but that good could well be done elsewhere, where real crime is happening. It may not be nice to call people names, but if the shoe fits...