Notices

Toying with this choice of upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2002, 10:30 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading many forum posts and chatting with a few enthusiasts I've come up with the following list of parts and wondered if anyone had any comments or better ideas for me to have a bit more power:

Scoobysport downpipe/centre section/silencer
Blitz Induction kit
ECUTEK Engine mapping (quoted as £625+VAT)

Now the scoobysport figures suggest a 25hp increase over standard which takes me to 240hp and then the tune should give me a further 25 right taking me to 265hp+ right?

I know torque will increase and it will make a definate difference to the car but is this a good combination, as in is there any advantage in having a different induction kit to standard with the other mods or will it be pointless?

It seems that the advantage of having just the scoobysport kit and the ecu is that its less likely to affect warranty (ECUTek claim that its undetectable?)

Bit of advice please as this is what I'm about to start saving up for
Old 15 July 2002, 11:09 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The induction kit COULD damage the MAF sensor and draw in hot air from the engine bay. Both risk detonation, and the gains are arguably small, especially for the potential risk involved. I would look elsewhere.

Any of these will upgrade choices will invalidate your warranty. If the car is driven with a boost gauge or select monitor the remap will be evident.
Old 15 July 2002, 11:10 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I would go for a fully prgrammable ECU for more money but with more features. This way you can easily tune the ECU as you add mods.

Exhaust: get a titanium or inconel one, they are lighter and can handle the heat better.
Old 16 July 2002, 07:36 AM
UHF
Scooby Regular

So no one rates the scoobysport exhaust then? Everyone I've spoken to says that they give such a power increase due to the de cat. And surely the ECU is pointless without other mods anyway?
Old 16 July 2002, 08:19 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

This is exactly the spec i have, and the garage have no problem with it. They have said if you have any problems we can always change the induction kit back to normal, ie assuming you keep it.

Believe me it will transform your car.
Old 16 July 2002, 08:20 AM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

I think the scoobysport exhaust is good. The other exhaust options are going to be mega money but if you want light that's what you gotta pay although I haven't ever heard of a titanium exhaust for a car. Used them on bikes but I don't even know where you'd find one for a car let alone a scooby???

I think you'll find that the exhaust conversation has gone around so many times that people aren't bothering replying hence noone saying the scoobysport stuff is good.

The air filter can cause MAF problems if it's oil based but I think the dry ones are ok. There are all sorts of suggestions around about piping to feed cold air from the front to a cone filter and I think most ar DIY (if not all) so that might be worth thinking about. Not sure if the search is working yet?

The ECU alone will help if it ups boost etc but you're right, there is no question that you need to do the exhaust to get the best gains from it. If it wasn't a scooby I'd say intake too but there doesn't seem to be as much interest in that area with scoobs? Not sure why but I'm new to this car so I'll go with the people that have played for longer with this engine.
Old 16 July 2002, 08:46 AM
UHF
Scooby Regular

agreed, everything I hear about the induction suggests trouble so I'm probably best off going with a panel replacement filter than actually changing the induction type, i've seen a few people with the air scoop on the bonnet but I think its best left alone, I'll see what happens, cheers. Off to Scoobysport soon I hope for a new exhaust, just gotta find me a "sensible" MOT garage nearby
Old 16 July 2002, 10:30 AM
Jon1T
Scooby Regular

Wink

UHF - you want an ITG panel filter approx £35 + VAT, as these have no issues with MAF sensor.

Not sure what you mean about the airscoop - all turbo Impreza'a have them...

Getting my full scoobysport system fitted Sat so I'll let you know what it's like - supoosed to be bloody good - 240ish bhp and extra 20 ft/lb of torque available lower down the range.
Old 16 July 2002, 10:38 AM
UHF
Scooby Regular

no i meant getting a scoop on the right most air vent to make it push outside air over the air filter, but you're right, I think ITG is safest
Old 16 July 2002, 02:29 PM
crusher
Scooby Regular

There is an induction kit available from GGR and Macspower..(I found this on Stephen Dones site...thanks Steve!)which is based on a K+n type replacement unit which replaces the standard air box...apparently the Mac's power one offers a guarantee against Maf failure due to the fitting of the kit...GGR doesn't,but Steve recons they are the same ....and GGR are a bit cheaper...Have a look at Steves' site for power gains he's achieved
Old 16 July 2002, 02:55 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

But still whether the induction kit is a worthwhile mod at this point is debateable. I think it makes sense if you also change the air inlet & stick the induction kit into the wing, but this costs quite a bit more than the induction kit itself!

Simply Scoobysport DP, mid & BB with a better panel filter (ITG or K&N) & the Tek2 (£500 I think, if you fit it yourself) should give you around 270bhp, 260lbft at the PE rollers (or similar), but whatever the numbers the car will be a lot better to drive!
Old 16 July 2002, 03:04 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is the engine going lean and detting worries me far more than the rather inexpensive cost of a MAF sensor these days. Not a jibe at Mac's Power, but at this price no one (quite rightly they would be mad) will warranty your engine against MAF related failure in the same way that an ECU map at reasonable price cannot include an engine guarantee for other than ECU mapping faults/negligence (since arguably the MAF is far more likely to blow it up on these cars). All the problems I have dealt with so far are sensor related, and several related to induction kits or Ram air filters, a few lambda sensors, but they do not have the potential to blow up your car, a dodgy MAF certainly does.
Old 16 July 2002, 03:24 PM
UHF
Scooby Regular

I'm gonna get the exhaust and ITG air panel for now and see how it goes, then save up for the ecu mod but it sounds like ITG, scoobysport system, and ECUTEK tuning should be more than safe and get me 270hp and tons more torque, i'll be happy with that for a few years i'm sure