Notices

MAF fault?

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2002, 11:52 AM
wightey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
guys,
coming home last night, got a slight hesitation under fairly hard acceleration just like that experienced with a sticking boost solenoid. did an ecu read this mornig expecting the usual code 45 to be flashed but instead got a code 23. abnormal voltage from the air flow sensor.
car runs fine, no erratic idle opr anything although over the last few days, when you first start it up and its cold it doesnt go straight to the higher "choke out" idle but stays at 900 for about 15 seconds and then goes up.
could a sticking solenoid cause this code somehow? you hear of people with them getting both codes on their display or is it more serious than that and my MAF is on its way out.
anyone got any ideas as i dont want it to bugger up and melt the engine with lean running etc.
i've an import V1 STi, MY94. will the meter only part number as mentioned on previous posts fit my car.
thanks, neil
Old 11 July 2002, 12:06 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Code 23 is indeed 'Mass air flow sensor' on my list.

You could try giving it a clean up with carb cleaner, some people have had some success with it.

I have to say though that my 'clean up' was very temporary...it gave up after being parked up for a week whilst on hols.

Not sure about part number for the earlier car, I think the one that fits mine (uk99) is different, sure someone in the know will tell you.

Good luck.
Old 11 July 2002, 12:11 PM
ice man
Scooby Regular

Had a similar problem with my car, when you rev hard it pulls ok then when you get to just under 5000 revs it lags then pulls ok.
Could this be the same issue.
Old 11 July 2002, 12:12 PM
wightey
Scooby Regular

thanks MD, thats what my list said too.
can i ask if its normal to get to symptoms at first if its dying?
the hesitation was really slight and could have just been the old boost solenoid playing up but not enough to give a code (whihc is what i suspect) and the MAF code is just there as there is a fault in it. what are the symptoms of a faulty MAF?
Old 11 July 2002, 12:16 PM
wightey
Scooby Regular

also i have no check engine light coming on. should this be illuminated if theres a MAF fault?
Old 11 July 2002, 03:36 PM
wightey
Scooby Regular

thanks again MD, thats about what i had expected ie no code until it dies. i dont have an AFR but maybe i should get one. it seems ok now and no codes from the ecu so hopefully it was just a blip. i will keep a close eye though as its fine if you are burning up petrol but not good if it goes lean.
as i said i will keep a close check. anyone got a part number for just the MAF sensor part for a MY94 (its a JDM one if it matters). i hope that you can buy only the sensor part.
cheers, neil
Old 11 July 2002, 05:29 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

wightey, no prob, hope it stays fine for you!
Old 11 July 2002, 06:12 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Small reminder: the MAF on a MY94 to MY98 are different (hot wire) and in a way self cleaning on start-up than on the MY99-MY00 (hot film). These are much more vulnerable. Symptoms may be totally different too. So bear that in mind whilst comparing them.
Carb cleaner *can* work on the older model.

Saying that, if you even doubt for one second that your MAF is not working correctly, get it checked out A.S.A.P. Don't walk, run.
Old 11 July 2002, 06:56 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

There you go, someone who knows about MAFs!

Symptoms may be similar but it might be summink different.
Old 12 July 2002, 12:20 AM
wightey
Scooby Regular

glad thats cleared up lol. now i knwo exactly what to look for.
as i said, car runs perfect. no idle probs, stalling or anything else (except a sticky boost solenoid but thats a different thread)
i just checked ecu today and it gave the 23 code which means the ecu has had an abnormal signal from the MAF.
cleared the ecu, took it for a big run and no codes after it so hopefully all is well although i will keep checking and if it gives another stored code i will replace it straight away.
it was a fairly grotty night etc so maybe it just took a funny turn.
anyone know the part number/ price for a MY94 MAF, can it just be bought on its own with no housing as per the later models ones?
Old 12 July 2002, 05:17 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Try your local dealer...mind you I reckon from what Ive read lately you will be ok with yours.

Fingers crossed.
Old 12 July 2002, 05:47 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Cool

MD, correction again: I know about knackered MAF's []

Basically though: a < MY99 MAF can be cleaned (good news), but when it's not working properly, you have to be just as careful, that's all I wanted to say.

Sorry, don't know the part number for the < MY99's.
Old 12 July 2002, 08:24 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

EvilBevel, Whoa back! No sarcasm here my friend, I was genuinely stating that someone knew about 'em.

I have only had my car for a year, I am still (actively), learning about it.

So, bud, take this as an apology if you will
Old 07 November 2002, 12:25 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Well lads, I am no expert and there are many people out there who know much more than I!

I can tell you how my car behaved...a few months back it started to 'play up' on idle, (masked by cold start), it was really noticeable when in stop/start traffic.

This was then semi confirmed after I got my John Banks/Mole built AFR 'plummed in' as the red (rich) LEDs were showing at idle meaning richer than a rich thing!

Edit...I had no CEL till it gave up completely!

It got worse, after a while the acceleration began to suffer, it was not smooth any more...surging, really noticeable until over the 3krpm mark.

It even stalled a couple of times after a good 'spirited' run when stopping at junctions etc.

I had 'cleaned' it using carb cleaner spray but then it said 'Good night and god bless'.

Thats my story and Im sticking to it!

[Edited by Moles Dad - 7/11/2002 12:27:23 PM]
Old 03 April 2003, 06:21 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Does anyone have a cost for a replacement MY99 MAF & Boost Control Solenoid ?? Thanks
Old 03 April 2003, 11:15 PM
scooby-dooby
Scooby Regular

Smile

The MAF sensor costs about £75 inc vat and the part number is: 22794AA010 METER CP-AIR FLOW. I'm not sure how much the Boost Control Solenoid costs.
Old 04 April 2003, 08:54 AM
MKC
Scooby Regular

thanks...