Notices

Any electrical chaps out there?

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2002, 08:41 AM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a new CD player for MY96, cos the old one appeared to have an intermittent fault where sound was going off totally when it got warm in the car. All speakers stopped at once, but CD kept playing, display was fine etc.

Left it to cool down, say in car park, and returned to it it would make a brief noise then stop...Espescially if car was in the sun..

So bought a new one. And guess what. After three cold wet days it got a bit warmer and BANG...no noise on the way home :@

Anyone any ideas where I even start to look?? Im loathe to take it to a delaer of any sort for them to spend hours and hours at my expense looking for a bad connection.........MUST be summat to do with temperature in the car, but HOW??

Driving me CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYY!
Old 05 July 2002, 09:26 AM
gareth60
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi,

My only guess would be the battery power or the earth to the unit. You should have two, one switched from the igition and one via the fuse box to the battery.

As metal gets hot, it expands and I can only guess that this is happening to you.

First try and connect the headunit to another earth, like a bolt or screw into the chassis. If that doesn't make it any better, after the fuse of (normally the red wire, not the yellow) connect it straight to the battery.

Strange one, but my money is on the earth...

Hope this helps
Gareth.
Old 05 July 2002, 10:06 AM
RaZe-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

So you think the earth connection might be expanding and stopping earthing? Would tie in with increased temp causing the problem.

Its one idea I hadnt considered, cos I dont know much (ie anything at all ) about elec-trickery type things, buts it the sort of thing I can understand.

Would that stop the speakers working, and not just stop the entire unit?
Old 05 July 2002, 10:13 AM
gareth60
Scooby Regular

Cool

Possible.

The headunit will "sort of" be earthed through the chassis of the radio which is connected to the dash and so on, but it wouldn't be a very good earth. This might explain why it still plays. The internal amp will need a better connection so this could stop if the power was bad..

I must admit, it is a strange one, but if it is a new unit and the old one does the same, then it must be the car. I'd be surprised if all 4 speakers went at once, which only leaves the power.

It's going to a process of elimination, but as I said, I’d start with the earth..

Good luck..

Gareth.