Notices

Downpipe and Uppipe fitting - doesn't bode well

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2002, 01:04 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gordon

Budget about 2.5 - 4 hours for the job unless your mate sheers any of the studs in the turbo - in which case it'll be a bit longer to remove the turbo to replace them.

Duncan

Edited to add this link for some instructions.

[Edited by BugEyed - 7/1/2002 1:08:53 PM]
Old 01 July 2002, 12:16 PM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

Question

Bought a downpipe and uppipe for my MY01 at the weekend while visit sunny London. Just called my mechanic to see if he could fit them and he asked me what a downpipe and uppipe are???

This doesn't bode well. Is these not normal exhaust parts? Should I cry now and use them as ornaments in my house or let the man at them? He's done all the work on my other cars with no problems (MR2 turbo, twin turbo GTO, cousins RX7 twin turbo) so his abilities aren't in question. Some of the work was serious strip work (engine rebuild on the RX7, timimg belt on GTO is a huge job).

Are these parts odd to an impreza or is there another name for them?

Is there a set of fitting instructions any of you mad DIYers has done up?

thanks
Gordon
Old 01 July 2002, 12:31 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they are pretty easy to do... take the car and pipes to him and he'll figure it out if hes anygood. tell him they both bolt to the turbo... Chances are it will be expensive to fit..

David
Old 01 July 2002, 12:48 PM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

He's a mate so he doesn't kill me on the prices but the guy in Scoobysport said it needs to have engine mounts released and raised the engine up so it'll be a lot of time I guess.

Oh well. I'm off to Portugal for a week at the end of the month so I'll leave it with him then and he can take his time.

Thanks
Old 01 July 2002, 01:35 PM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

The turbo??? Isn't that on the Manifold? Why does that need to be removed for the 2 pipes in question?

Dear God this is sounding worse by the minute
Old 01 July 2002, 01:47 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The turbo sits ontop of the up pipe... the manifold / headers are under the car.. and the uppipe connects these to the turbo... the downpipe has to come off anyway to get to the bolts for the uppipe... The studs in the turbo have tendancy to shear.... ask BuRR... if this happens its possible that you may have to take the turbo off the car to remove the stud from it.

David
Old 01 July 2002, 01:58 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Cool

Gordon

The "Uppipe" is the pipe that connects the exhaust manifold (headers) to the turbo, and the "Downpipe" connects the turbo to the rest on the exhaust system that is situated under the car.

Replacing the downpipe is relatively easy, as long as you don't find the bolts corroded into the turbo.

There are two ways to replace the uppipe;
  • From the top - this basicly involves the removal of the intercooler and the turbo, which then allow the uppipe to be swapped. The advantage of this route is that most of the work is done from above, and hence is preferable if you don't have a vehicle lift/pit.
  • From underneath - no need to remove the turbo (unless you have a problem as mentioned above. Requires the o/s engine mount to be slackened off and the engine jacked about 1.5" to get the OEM uppipe out.
HTH

Duncan
Old 01 July 2002, 02:09 PM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

It'll be up on a ramp alright so I think the best bet is underneath for him.
The car is only 6 months old so I wouldn't expect to have corroded bolts at this point. (fingers crossed).

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it on to the mechanic and it may help him.

Is there a service manual available to buy for the MY01 by the way? Always like to have that and it would help even more I would think.
Old 01 July 2002, 07:17 PM
Caronte
Scooby Regular

Hi Gordon.

Just a curiosity: did you buy them at Scoobysport this week end?
Old 01 July 2002, 11:14 PM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

I did indeed. At about 11:30am.
Were you there?
Old 01 July 2002, 11:55 PM
Caronte
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

No, the fact is that I booked two weeks and a half ago the fitting of the Uppipe at Scoobysport for saturday morning. I received a phone call on friday afternoon from them asking me if I lived close to Basildon (I thought "strange"..). Then I'm told that they run out of stock of the piece and they wanted to rebookme in the next two weeks. I replied saying that It was a littlebit late to postpone the fitting booked two and a half weeks before (mainly when somebody works 6 days a week for 13 hours a day as me and the few w-e available are planned one month in advance..!and secondly since Hayward and scott is in Basildon too..).

Now things started being clearer.

Old 02 July 2002, 08:01 AM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

Oops. Mind you. they had more than one cause mine had a bit of weld on the inside that was loose and he checked the other ones that they had gotten that morning and it was fine. They were working away like beavers on 2 cars at the time though so it might just have been that.

Brakes on one car and something in the top of the engine on another one.
Old 02 July 2002, 08:04 AM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

In fact they wouldn't have known on friday afternoon to ask you to postpone. I only called in on saturday. I had planned on buying an airfilter and going for a spin in the mates 911 whle the girls shopped in London so there was no conspiracy just lucky timing on my part.

Maybe they weren't expecting the delivery on saturday or something cause I'm nearly definite they had a few. (don't quote me on that)
Old 02 July 2002, 08:20 AM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Cool

Gordon

Good luck with the swap. I hope that your bolts haven't corroded, but mine had and the car was only 3 months old when I first did the work. Use lots of penetrating fluid and just put up with the smell.

Duncan
Old 02 July 2002, 08:30 AM
SoreHead
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Don't get carried away. I'm not doing the work. That's a job for someone who at least has an idea what they're doing.

My limits are service and fitting things like electronic boost controllers and the odd dump valve. suspension, gearboxes and anything that can't be done with the tools I have in my shed and a trolly jack are for the experts thanks.
Old 02 July 2002, 08:46 AM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

Hi Caronte

I asked my guys to postpone your installation because Haywards couldn't get any ready before 12 noon. If they ran late, it may have meant that we had to put your car back together without one and I didn't want to take the risk. Especially as its about 4 hours work.

As it turned out, we got two delivered at lunchtime on Saturday and more on Monday morning.

I'm really sorry for the late call on this, but I'm sure you understand my concern.