Notices

stuck idle control valve

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2023, 04:56 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default stuck idle control valve

I have removed the ICV valve on my impreza sti (2002 bug) and after cleaning the chamber as much as i could with cotton buds etc i removed the 2 torx plus screws and pulled out the motor assembly and its solid and wont turn. i was thinking to clamp onto the shaft that has the magnet and try to turn to free it off. is this a bad idea and would damage it? im guessing if its jammed solid it cant do it anymore harm to try? i have mini mole grips i was going to use to try and free it or do i just get another? thanks for any help, cheers Brad
Old 10 October 2023, 03:09 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Wee update on this, i used the mole grips and freed it off and it now turns but its hard to turn even after cleaning it all out and putting some oil on the bearing so i guess its goosed? I watched a video of a guy doing his and it spun like a top with a flick of the wrist and mine turns but not freely at all feels like the bearing has gone. Does anyone have a link to matty,s facebook spares page? i cant seem to find it. cheers.
Old 10 October 2023, 07:49 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Amazon Amazon
Old 25 November 2023, 03:26 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Does any body know if the idle is adjustable by loosening the screws on the icv and moving the motor up or down? I have read that as the holes are elongated and need to be marked when removing to clean that adjustment can be made? i bought an icv similar to the one TECHNOPUG linked to but the idle is far too low now and cuts out at junctions etc when dipping the clutch. I thought the ecu would learn and adjust itself but doesnt seem to be the case as ive went for a few drives to try and get it to settle down but it stays at around 500 rpm and lower even when warm. As this is a cheap copy could it be possible its been set wrong when manufactured? I bought a 2nd hand icv and fitted it but that one is throwing an engine light and p0519 code as it revs high over 2000 rpm. Another thought was to adjust the idle on the new icv with my laptop using SSM? i see there is a page where the idle can be set and sent to the ecu, but if the elongated holes have been set wrong would the SSM adjustment even work? this is doing my head in lol. any thoughts are appreciated thanks.
Old 25 November 2023, 04:21 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Try the SSM adjustment first.
Old 25 November 2023, 05:24 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply m8, will give it a go tomorrow and report back cheers.
Old 11 December 2023, 11:02 AM
HowardSanchez
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attempting to free a stuck idle control valve (ICV) is a reasonable approach before considering a replacement. Gently using mini mole grips to turn the shaft might help loosen it. Apply penetrating oil for additional assistance. If it remains stuck, a replacement could be necessary.
Spoiler

Last edited by HowardSanchez; 18 December 2023 at 12:03 PM.