Notices

Please help - Noise under light acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2023, 04:01 AM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Please help - Noise under light acceleration

Guys, please advise what can I do with my issue below....

Forester 2006, EJ205. 69k km on it.

I changed the read and front diffs fluid (Motul Gear 300, 75w90) a year ago. I started hearing some whining noise under light acceleration, around 60 km\h.
I change both diffs fluid recently - same Motul Gear 300 and I decided to overfill it, so I put around 900ml (not 800ml) into the rear diff: fluid started sipping out, I shot some more fluid with a syringe and closed the upper plug.
For the front diff, I remember recommendations of 1,2-1.4l. I put around 1.5l. Seems like the whining noise still exists.

Today I had a long trip on the highway and was surprised to hear whining noise starting at 40km\h, then it was focused at 80km\h, 100 km\h, and was loud at 120km\h. Mostly seemed to be coming from the rear, but might be from the front as well.
I asked my wife to drive and was i sitting on the back seat trying to hear where it comes from. It sounded more clear from the rear right side.

Whining noise is under light acceleration. At the moment of whining, if i press the acceleration pedal harder, the noise gets quiet, same as I release the acceleration.

What i tried to check so far:
1. Checked wheel bearing on each wheel checking wheels pusing\pulling at 12-6 and 9-6 positions - no play, everything was solid.
2. Checked drive shafts - everything solid, no plays.
3. Front diff fluid is overfilled on the dipstick. No leaks.

I would like to mention two things that may be related:
1. The left rear wheel seems just a bit tilted. please check the image below. The rest 3 wheels are straight. It may give some noise, but I cannot believe that the noise i hear (which can be loud), can be cause of this tire.
2. There is one thing that might be off-topic, but I would like to mention that I installed a rear hitch recently. The muffler hanger was interfering just a bit with the hitch structure and when the engine is cold, it was a rattling noise at some rpms. I put a piece of thick rubber, and it does not rattle anymore. But maybe it producing some whining noise anyway?
I cannot imagine what could happen to damage the diffs or wheel bearings. There was no noise a couple of months ago. The car is just being driven in the city, no drifting or anything like that.

Guys, please advise what can it be. What else I should check?

Old 12 June 2023, 09:39 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

What pads are fitted? Do they have the wear indicator fitted on that side?

The following users liked this post:
Old 12 June 2023, 01:11 PM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

@Don Clark

Thank you for the reply.

I could stop by a shop and put my car on the lift.
While the car lifted and the drivetrain was running, the noise from the front end of the rear differential was clearly heard. If I am not mistaken, there is a pinion bearing there, and I believe it can be replaced.
Checked the fluid by removing the upper plug, clean fluid with no visible metal particles in it.

Please note that the car has 70k km on it, diff fluid was replaced 10k km ago and a couple of weeks ago, nothing wrong was found. This noise started coming out recently and it's getting worse fast.
The suspension was checked today as well - not a single issue. Every suspension part is original and there is no visible need to replace anything. The car has been driven normally within the city only, with no drifting and all-terrain.

I see three options here:
1. Rebuild the differential or replace the pinion bearing with its seal.
2. Buy a used differential assembly and replace it. The used one might have way more than 100k km on it.
3. Tighten the pinion nut.

What do you guys think about the 3rd option?
Is it possible to remove the rear pinion bearing from the front, after removing the pinion nut and a seal? Is the bearing to be unloaded and easy to pull out?

Last edited by Hauntednsk; 13 June 2023 at 02:54 AM.
Old 14 June 2023, 12:02 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

What oil was put into the diff a short time ago?
Old 14 June 2023, 12:46 PM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
What oil was put into the diff a short time ago?
Same as I used a year ago - Motul Gear 300 75w90.
Old 14 June 2023, 01:59 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

70K kms (43.5K miles) is not a lot of miles.
The revision "D" (2005) JDM AT XT and Cross Sport use a T-Type 4.444:1 Viscous LSD (27011AA542)

UK Rear diff info attached

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MY05 Forester rear diff.pdf (19.69 MB, 0 views)
Old 14 June 2023, 02:27 PM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark
70K kms (43.5K miles) is not a lot of miles.
The revision "D" (2005) JDM AT XT and Cross Sport use a T-Type 4.444:1 Viscous LSD (27011AA542)

UK Rear diff info attached
Thank you.

Is there a chance that the noise is because of the Motul Gear 300 oil? Or if its whining - just the differential replacement needed and nothing else can help?
Old 04 July 2023, 10:06 PM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

@Don Clark
@JDM_Stig

Update:

I ordered a used rear differential from a company that sells used Japanese parts in Canada recently. I got a used differential, the same gear ratio, same model number. It was installed today. The back cover was opened, the diff was cleaned inside, the side seals were replaced, and filled with Motul 75w90 oil.
I was so happy until I started driving... The whining noise was right there, but with this diff, not at a higher speed as it was with the previous one, but occurred at 30 km\h and up, on acceleration\stopping and it was loud. WTF! I was feeling down.

Negotiated with the seller right away. They were pushing me back saying that my ratio may be different (no, it is 4.444:1 - I showed them proof of 4.444). Then they were saying that there may be something wrong with something else in the drivetrain.
Maybe, but why with the new diff noise is starting @ 30 km\h and is loud, it is even worse than with my original diff. There should be no difference to the noise conditions if the issues with something else.

The seller ended up shipping me another differential tomorrow. They said this one looks cleaner and might have lower mileage. But nobody compensates me for what I paid for labor, new fluid, and new seals...
Not sure if they knew that this diff is a faulty one or what...

PS: Interesting that the 'new old' differential shaft old seals were sitting tight and were glued with a gasket maker or something. Does it come like that from the factory? However, all the bolts seemed to be never touched.

Last edited by Hauntednsk; 05 July 2023 at 01:06 AM.
Old 05 July 2023, 03:08 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Can you stick the car in the air, ramps or jacks, drop the prop shaft off and run the car on ramp or stand (with all wheels off ground), see if the noise is there with rear diff disconnected.
Old 05 July 2023, 06:52 PM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
Can you stick the car in the air, ramps or jacks, drop the prop shaft off and run the car on ramp or stand (with all wheels off ground), see if the noise is there with rear diff disconnected.
I actually checked 2 times (@ 2 shops) and every time car was lifted and wheels running. The noise was clearly coming from the rear differential front part where the bearings are.
Old 08 July 2023, 05:50 AM
Hauntednsk
Scooby Regular

I got another rear differential delivered for replacement of the faulty one that was shipped to me recently.
This one looks much better than the previous one they shipped me. This one is really clean outside, oil inside is clear yellowish color (previously shipped had dark\black color and was looking not good).

Guys, my original rear differential started whining (70k km on the odometer) and I don't know what the reason for whining was...why bearings or something wears off so early. I was using Motul Gear 300 75w90 oil.
I found somewhere that for the rear diff specifically GL5 oil should be used, not GL4\GL5 and Motul GL300 has a lower viscosity than recommended for the rear diffs. So I am thinking that Gear 300 was wrong for the rear diff and caused the whining...
What do you guys think? @Don Clark @JDM_Stig , what do you think?

So I am afraid to use Motul gear oil now, and considering something else, and GL5 only. I am looking at Liqui Moly GL5 75w90 for the rear and front differentials. Is it a good choice for both differentials? Please advise.

Last edited by Hauntednsk; 08 July 2023 at 05:54 AM.
Old 08 July 2023, 08:52 AM
JdmSti2006
Scooby Regular

Received 196 Likes on 171 Posts

bought this ,its gl5 spec to
Millers Oils CRX LS 75w90 NT+ Fully Synthetic Competition Transmission Oil, 1 Litre

The following users liked this post:
Old 08 July 2023, 11:50 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hauntednsk
I actually checked 2 times (@ 2 shops) and every time car was lifted and wheels running. The noise was clearly coming from the rear differential front part where the bearings are.
But it will prove if it is rear diff for sure, as you are about the take it all apart you could test then, have you actually checked what code the gearbox is, not just reading the engine plate?