EJ205 heads / EJ207 block hybrid in GC8 - advice wanted please

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2023, 05:33 AM
Impact_Blue
Scooby Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EJ205 heads / EJ207 block hybrid in GC8 - advice wanted please

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on Scoobynet and my first time owning a WRX. (Sorry if this post gets a bit long winded…)

So Late last year I bought a 1999 WRX AUDM with 215,000Kms on the odometer and only 5,000Kms on the engine (that was advertised as being completely rebuilt.)

Shortly after I purchased the car it started to lose a considerable amount of power and began to consume increasing amounts of oil. After only 5,000Kms of driving in my ownership the bottom end developed a knock that turned out to be the big end bearing failing on cylinder no. 3.

After removing the engine from the WRX I found that the heads are in good condition, with good valve clearances and paint markings over the bolts to indicate that someone had reconditioned them at some point. On the other hand, taking off the sump revealed that the block was covered in heavy varnish and the cylinder walls were scored.

At this point I’m waiting for a brand new EJ207 short block to arrive from Japan, and in the mean time trying to decide what engine work I should do so I don’t have to pull it out in the future.

My end goal is to have it making 320 - 350Hp at the engine safely and reliably. To achieve that, I plan on using version 5/6 STI cams in the EJ205 head, replacing the turbo with a VF29 or VF34, HKS catback, XForce headers, STI intercooler and STI E3 or J2 ECU (tune/remap later on)

What I’m really concerned about though, is

• if the STI EJ207 camshafts are compatible with my shim over bucket Ej205 head? Is it worth it seeing as I’m getting the 207 block or is it a waste?
  • If those ECUs will run that set up, do they require modification to the wiring apart from changing the pin-out slightly?
  • Will the stock oil pump suffice, or should I upgrade to a 12mm?
  • Will a VF34 work with those ECUs, or do I need a VF29?
  • Anything I’m missing or will require?

I know some of these topics have been covered before but even after researching everything for a fair while I’m pretty confused on what is true and what isn’t, especially for a first timer like me.

Any help is very much appreciated - cheers
Old 29 March 2023, 09:13 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 382 Likes on 304 Posts

you would be better to install the full valvetrain IMO rather than simply cams (std cams at early 300's aren't an issue anyhows)
the heads are std for that car so the ECU will cope no issue, you will obviously require a tune regardless because of the Turbo swap, etc

you defo do NOT want a 12mm pump, unless you have extra external oil coolers, etc then the std 10mm variant will cope just fine (obviously replace with new as well as modine due to failed motor!!)
Old 22 April 2023, 09:50 AM
Impact_Blue
Scooby Newbie

I would install the entire 207 valvetrain but the issue is budget and time it takes to track down parts, especially seeing as these types of parts are rare and expensive where I live (in Australia)

I was thinking I might be able to get a bit more top end with the STI cams to compliment the bigger turbo in future without necessarily revving it too much harder like I would be able to with the shim under bucket design.

Also - Will I require a different down pipe/catalyst for that kind of power? It seems like that is debated a lot whether is necessary to change it out after hitting 300hp.

Last edited by Impact_Blue; 25 April 2023 at 03:08 AM.
Old 24 April 2023, 06:20 PM
joelle king
BANNED

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

is the engine swapped or it's the original one ?

Last edited by joelle king; 25 April 2023 at 12:36 AM.
Old 25 April 2023, 03:06 AM
Impact_Blue
Scooby Newbie

It is a genuine wrx if that’s what you’re asking. When I brought it the previous owner told me the engine was replaced it an identical GC8 motor but from the s20 markings and catted up pipe I’m pretty confident it’s from a Blobeye.