Notices

Rookie car buying advice please

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2023, 08:16 AM
andrew a
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rookie car buying advice please

Hi all trying to venture into the world of Subaru ownership for the first time. Went to look at a 2004 wrx with 80k miles on it. It performed well in test drive pulling well through the gears and stopping and the temperature seemed to stay normal. However when arrived back at the sellers house there was a slight bit of white smloke came from the drivers side of the bonnet and a strange smell. They said the car had been sitting about for a few
lnths, clearly had a brand new radiator fitted and they said they had the head pressure tested and the head gasket was okay. Is this. A red flag one to avoid , please excuse my inexperience , andrew

Last edited by andrew a; 07 February 2023 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07 February 2023, 08:50 AM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts

smoke from the RHS of the engine is more commonly oil mist from a slightly weeping rocker cover gasket.......not the end of the world and easily solved as long as some muppet hasn't been there beofre you
Old 07 February 2023, 09:16 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

It doesn't sound well maintained though; my advice would be not to rush into a sale, look for an enthusiast owned vehicle with tons of paperwork, and if it's been tested in some way, then evidence is needed, not " my mate did it for me" Be prepared to travel for one, be patient, and you'll find the One.
Old 07 February 2023, 11:17 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

It's the rocker cover gasket leaking onto the exhaust. Not that big a deal and they all fail at some point. That wouldn't put me off the car in isolation. If that's the only issue, it's a bargaining point for knocking a couple of hundred quid off the price.
Old 07 February 2023, 04:12 PM
nicam49
Scooby Regular

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

If you have the reg, get onto the dvla website and look at its mot history.
Going fast and stopping well is not a problem for a Scoob, ROT is! You need to inspect the rear arches, both inside the car - the rear suspension turrets - and inside the rear wheel wells - above the rear wheels and way up inside - there's a double skin and a mud trap. That's the favourite rot areas and expensive to sort. Remember it's an OLD car and buyer beware!
There's plenty of info on youtube, heres one :

https://youtu.be/6EiFLwcNVEA

​​​​​​
​​

Last edited by nicam49; 07 February 2023 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10 February 2023, 07:10 PM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Yea sounds like rocker gasket, mine did that. Alright i think it has a leak from the rear engine seal aswell.

As others have said rust is your main issue. Check those rear strut turrets get your hand right up to the top of the strut, you will need gloves.

Both of mine are fine, but one car is garage and other just turned 70,000 miles.