Exhaust rattle - culprit and solution? 09 STI

Search this Thread

Old 27 March 2022, 02:02 AM
joesci
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust rattle - culprit and solution? 09 STI

Hi all,

had this exhaust rattle coming from the back box area of my 09 STI for a fair few months now, it’s a cobra system. Initially thought it was the heat shield above the backbox as it was loose but refitted it and the noise persists.

video here (and attached): https://streamable.com/h5r1qr

Checked the length underneath and all fittings are sound and everything is nice and tight so assume it must be internal, maybe the baffles in the backbox.

Does anyone have any other ideas? And if it is the backbox baffles like I suspect, how would you go about sorting it? Rather not splash out on a new catback section from cobra but it seems the only other solution is have someone cut it open and weld it.

Disappointingly the exhaust is only around two years old. The mesh baffllng in the tips has perished too. Was fitted to car before my ownership so out of luck with warranty.

cheers
Attached Files
Old 27 March 2022, 09:45 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by joesci
Hi all,

had this exhaust rattle coming from the back box area of my 09 STI for a fair few months now, it’s a cobra system. Initially thought it was the heat shield above the backbox as it was loose but refitted it and the noise persists.

video here (and attached): https://streamable.com/h5r1qr

Checked the length underneath and all fittings are sound and everything is nice and tight so assume it must be internal, maybe the baffles in the backbox.

Does anyone have any other ideas? And if it is the backbox baffles like I suspect, how would you go about sorting it? Rather not splash out on a new catback section from cobra but it seems the only other solution is have someone cut it open and weld it.

Disappointingly the exhaust is only around two years old. The mesh baffllng in the tips has perished too. Was fitted to car before my ownership so out of luck with warranty.

cheers
how do you know its only 2 years old if you didn't fit it ? If the previous owner give you the receipt and that's how you know then I'd try sending Cobra (or wherever he got it) an email. Worth a shot before anything drastic
Old 27 March 2022, 05:53 PM
joesci
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
how do you know its only 2 years old if you didn't fit it ? If the previous owner give you the receipt and that's how you know then I'd try sending Cobra (or wherever he got it) an email. Worth a shot before anything drastic
Had the receipt in the service book but I've lost the entire thing since... lol.

Spoke to cobra on the phone, can't honour warranty without the order # as they only honour for original purchaser. Out of luck there I think.