Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Exhaust / backbox?

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2004, 10:42 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Exhaust / backbox?

I have the standard Subaru exhaust on my MY00 but I want something with a little more noise but not to much as the sound will p1ss me off on the motorway.
Is there a exhaust or backbox that will give me a bit of noise as I cant hear much of the flat 4 rumble but I do enjoy the sound of the turbo

Ray
Old 30 June 2004, 12:38 AM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Could try a couple of things....
- Replace centre section with a straight through MAGNEX (or similar) for £60+
- Replace backbox with STi or Prodrive equivalent (£50-£150(ish)) secondhand.

J.
Old 30 June 2004, 01:13 AM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

the above......or an H&S Scoobysport back box. Nice sound and not too loud.
A decat centre will give more guts to the flat four sound.
Old 30 June 2004, 01:25 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
Could try a couple of things....
- Replace centre section with a straight through MAGNEX (or similar) for £60+
- Replace backbox with STi or Prodrive equivalent (£50-£150(ish)) secondhand.

J.
Would that be a P1 backbox, STI5?

Ray
Old 30 June 2004, 01:33 PM
cong
Scooby Regular

ninja backbox and centre decat sound lovely and not too loud
Old 30 June 2004, 03:05 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray_li
Would that be a P1 backbox, STI5?

Ray
Umm... I dunno exactly. I have a P1 BB but then I have a P1, so it fits. The P1 standard BB was an STi item anyway. The P1 monogrammed BB was an option.

I have seen people advertise UK PPP backboxes and imply the pipework was smaller but they might be talking bollox.

J.
Old 30 June 2004, 05:12 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Ray Li,

I have a handmade stainless steel Hayward & Scott backbox for a classic Scooby - it has twin exit pipes and will retain the look of the original exhaust but provide better performance and a nice sound (not too noisy though, it's not a loud exhaust by scooby standards). Hayward & Scott used to make the classic scoobysport exhausts, it's a very nice piece of engineering! I can provide photos if you want, it's in excellent condition. I was after a new backbox for my scooby (MY00) and ended up with two - as you do! I bought one at the NBO 2 and my fiancee (Scoobess) bought one on ebay!

I was after about £115 for it, let me know if you're interested or want me to email you some photos. I haven't got round to advertising it yet!
Old 30 June 2004, 08:38 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by minor_threat
Ray Li,

I have a handmade stainless steel Hayward & Scott backbox for a classic Scooby - it has twin exit pipes and will retain the look of the original exhaust but provide better performance and a nice sound (not too noisy though, it's not a loud exhaust by scooby standards). Hayward & Scott used to make the classic scoobysport exhausts, it's a very nice piece of engineering! I can provide photos if you want, it's in excellent condition. I was after a new backbox for my scooby (MY00) and ended up with two - as you do! I bought one at the NBO 2 and my fiancee (Scoobess) bought one on ebay!

I was after about £115 for it, let me know if you're interested or want me to email you some photos. I haven't got round to advertising it yet!
Would be very interested but Iv had the scooby (MY00) for 11 days not and Im holding my beath untill the insurance comes through on my credit card.
But sounds good. Let me read up a little bit more and i'll PM you when I haev the money to see if you still have it.

Ray
Old 01 July 2004, 09:23 AM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray_li
Would be very interested but Iv had the scooby (MY00) for 11 days not and Im holding my beath untill the insurance comes through on my credit card.
But sounds good. Let me read up a little bit more and i'll PM you when I haev the money to see if you still have it.

Ray
LOL! I know what you mean about the insurance! Send me a PM if you want some photos or are still interested when you have the money. You can see Hayward & Scott's Scooby Exhausts here but there isn't a photo of a twin exit backbox.

When I took the backbox off my car (MY00) it was rusting through, looked like it only had another 6 months left to live so its nice to know the H&S comes with a lifetime guarantee! I'm amazed Subaru didn't put stainless steel ones on as standard, but I guess they want them to rust so you have to go to the stealership to buy a new one.
Old 01 July 2004, 01:02 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I've got a H&S centre and backbox on mine. Perfect for me, not too loud but the flat four burble is evident, nice roar on boost. Will get the down pipe one day, mmmm pops and bangs

BTW Not sure who you are insured with but I'm with Liverpool Victoria, they don't care about mods so long as the engine capacity doesn't change Think you have to be over 30 to get insured on a classic with them.
Old 01 July 2004, 02:18 PM
Johnny50
Scooby Regular

After trying several on my car (Magnex/Firestorm/Nur SpecR) i now have an H&S system and BB on my wagon.

Definately the best out the lot of you dont want anything loud. imo.
Old 01 July 2004, 02:28 PM
tmo
Scooby Regular

TSL group N back box with a 4" out, and de-cat centre, sounds fantastic but does not resonate through the cabin whilst cruising the motorways. Then have a de-cat front pipe fitted